Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Any ideas on how to relate 2 assets in the AEM DAM

Level 1

The use case is " As a damadmin, I would like to establish a relationship between an asset with multiple assets in the Adobe DAM".  I am assuming the relationship would be a metadata field and the type would be a multifield of pathfield so that the admin can select multiple assets to relate them to this particular asset". 

If any one has any other ideas or other ways of achieving this by configuration in the Adobe AEM 6.0 SP2, please let me know

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

You can may be create a static collection. Please refer to http://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-0/author/assets/managing-assets-touch-ui/managing-collections-to.... These just group the images you select in to a collection. Collections are a logical concept. Referencing one asset with another (unless they are literal sub assets liek psd file and its png file etc), is not recommended. Please make use of collections and lightbox concepts.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 2

Working with metadata, like you describe, would be a good way to do it.

One thing to investigate (and how I implement it once) is to use the "subassets" as a mechanism to relate Assets with each other. Therefore I had to make some small changes to the damadmin (provide the option to upload a subasset & link an existing asset as a subasset to a DAM asset), but on the level of the API it fits quite nicely. If the metadata of the subassets should be "shared" with the "main" asset, this is good option.

Another alternative way is to work with folders to logically group multiple assets together. however this brings an organisational effort... 

Anyway If I'm not mistaken, right now there is not foreseen anything out-of-the-box... 

Correct answer by
Employee

You can may be create a static collection. Please refer to http://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-0/author/assets/managing-assets-touch-ui/managing-collections-to.... These just group the images you select in to a collection. Collections are a logical concept. Referencing one asset with another (unless they are literal sub assets liek psd file and its png file etc), is not recommended. Please make use of collections and lightbox concepts.

Level 2

Yes you're right, collections forgot about that. The subassets solution was written in CQ5.4, when there was no support for collections (although it works fairly well !)... 

Level 2

Why not use tags & relate the assets.