Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

aem_6.5_Quickstart.jar gives "Push back buffer is full" when run.

Level 3

Adobe sent me the AEM 6.5 quickstart jar and a key.

As per these instructions: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-learn/foundation/development/set-up-a-loc...

i created the author and publish dirs, copied in the quickstart jar and rename them aem-author-p4502.jar etc.

Adobe dont supply the required license.properties file, and after some searching I find it is supposed to create it on first launch.

Anyway, when I run aem-author-p4502.jar it creates a crx-quickstart dir, opens a window saying "starting quickstart on port 4502" then does nothing.

if I hit https://localhost:4502 nothing is there (connection refused).

I tried creating a license.properties file and pasting in the key, but this results in "push back buffer full" error.

I have 16GB ram, I am not running anything else, quad core i7, 2TB 3200 MB/s nvme SSd, and gigabit network with 600Mbit symmetrical uncontested fibre.  I have no proxy, vpn or filewall running (other than standard windows defender).

I have java 11 jdk installed and JAVA_HOME correctly set (so I can run mvn etc).

>java -version
java version "11.0.9" 2020-10-20 LTS

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.9 (build 11.0.9+7-LTS)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 18.9 (build 11.0.9+7-LTS, mixed mode)

>echo %JAVA_HOME%
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-11.0.9

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

== update 1 ==

After some trial and error, I find that if I run the jar file in my downloads folder, without changing its name, it runs, and I get prompted for a browser login. I cant find the login details anywhere, but at least it "ran".  If I follow the tutorial, and put the jar in the author and publish subfolders and rename them, they hang when launched.

I now have a license file at least, by not following the developer guide.

== update 2 ==

Running either of the renamed jar files results in hanging, with no progress bar appearing.

If I run the un-renamed jar file, I get a loading progress bar, followed by "http://localhost:4502 startup time 20s".  If I then open chrome and go to this url, I get:

HTTP ERROR 503

Problem accessing /. Reason:

AuthenticationSupport service missing. Cannot authenticate request.

== update 3 ==

More trial and error. I redownloaded the quickstart.jar, but this made no difference and the size is the same.

I notice that if I run my author/aem-author-p4502.jar it hangs. If I delete author/crx-quickstart dir, but have the correct and valid license.properties file along side the jar in the author dir, and try to run the jar, I always get "Fatal error: IOException Push back buffer is full". I have 10GB free ram, and around 1TB free disk space on the ssd.  it does create the crx-quickstart dir however. Then if I run the jar again, I dont get the push back buffer full error, it just hangs.

== update 4 ==

Adobe support kindly suggested doing this:

author>java -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Xmx1024M -jar aem-author-p4502.jar

However, this fails, and in the log file it creates we see the same error as double clicking on it:

java.io.IOException: Push back buffer is full
	at java.base/java.io.PushbackInputStream.unread(PushbackInputStream.java:229)
	at java.base/java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.readEnd(ZipInputStream.java:359)
	at java.base/java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.read(ZipInputStream.java:197)
	at java.base/java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.closeEntry(ZipInputStream.java:141)
	at com.adobe.granite.quickstart.base.impl.Unpacker.extractFiles(Unpacker.java:168)
	at com.adobe.granite.quickstart.base.impl.Unpacker.unpack(Unpacker.java:69)
	at com.adobe.granite.quickstart.base.impl.upgrade.UpgradeUtil.handleInstallAndUpgrade(UpgradeUtil.java:155)
	at com.adobe.granite.quickstart.base.impl.Quickstart.<init>(Quickstart.java:154)
	at com.adobe.granite.quickstart.base.impl.Main.<init>(Main.java:912)
	at com.adobe.granite.quickstart.base.impl.Main.main(Main.java:981)
Quickstart: aborting
MAIN process: shutdown hook
MAIN process: exiting

Note, MaxPermSize is not relevant for java 11.

== update 5 ==

Tried rebooting, deleting quickstart dir, running quickstart again, get same "Push back buffer is full" error message the first time, then hangs the second time.

== update 6 ==

Although oracle java 11 is on the official AEM 6.5 supported list, I installed Oracle 64 bit java 1.8, deleted the crx-quickstart dir, and ran the jar again. Got the exact same "push back buffer full" error.

>java -version
java version "1.8.0_271"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_271-b09)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.271-b09, mixed mode)

16 Replies

Level 5

Hi @nutmix ,

This error can occur when the AEM installation files have become corrupt during the download process. There is no way of knowing which files are corrupt, therefore, you should download the jar again.

After that Double-click the jar file to install the Author instance. This will start the author instance, running on port 4502 on the local computer.

Thanks,

Sandeep

Level 3
Thanks for the reply, tried that, same result.

Community Advisor

Most probably this is because of wrong java version, could you please check the aem version & use the java supported for that particular aem version.

Level 3
Hi, its the latest aem (6.5) and java 11. I installed java 11 just for this (previously I had java

Community Advisor
it should work with java 11 as i am using java 11.0.6 on windows and it works fine, can u try with java 8

Level 1

this works for me and solved my issue. thanks for your suggestion

It is now perfectly working! 

To other's whose encountering same issue, make sure to update your path in environment variables for java & java bin folder under "path" 

CarloTe_0-1690860852181.png

CarloTe_1-1690860878842.png

and make sure java bin path is on top.

Level 3
For some reason this is marked as the correct answer, but unfortunately it is not.

Level 3
Please could you kindly remove this as a solution - somehow you have marked it as the solution. thanks!

Community Advisor
Kindly download jdk 11 from software distribution and use the same it should resolve ur issue.

Level 3
What is software distribution? It took me 1 month to get adobe to give me the jar and license key. Now do I have to apply to them to get their special version of java? This could take months also. Adobe should state up front that they dont support any java except their own, if this is the case.

Level 3
I have installed JDK 1.8 64 bit, deleted the quickstart dir, ran the jar, and get the same error "push back buffer is full"

Community Advisor

Hi @nutmix 

Initially AEM 6.5 not supported Oracle Java 11, we have to download Java 11 from Adobe site. Now seems Adobe extended support for Oracle Java 11 as well. If it is not working, please try

1. Installing Java 8
  2. Delete the crx-quickstart folder
  3. Run the jar file

Hope this works.

Level 3

Thanks for the reply. In this adobe document: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-learn/foundation/development/set-up-a-loc... it specifically says to use JDK 11, which I have.  I have no access to download java from Adobe. I have never heard of Adobe java - is Adobe now producing a special version of java just for its products? Didnt microsoft get sued for doing exactly this?

Level 3
FYI, I have installed java 8 64 bit, deleted crx, run the jar, and get same error "push back buffer full"

Level 1

Still having the same problem now trying to use my 6.5 jar file with Java 11. Did you get it solved?