Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

AEM 6.5 Bundles not installing under {project}/install

Level 5

We are upgrading to AEM6.5 from 6.3.  We have set up a shared NFS and everything seems to work fine. 

But since then, AEM doesn't appear to install new bundles of higher versions of our custom projects.  So, for example, {project-b}/install/project-b.jar will not trigger a bundle OSGI install.

I'm not sure the two are related but it does seem a bit odd.  Could something be cached?  Could installing on both author and publish cause issues?  

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Just checking. 

Feel free to log a Daycare ticket to troubleshoot this further.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Employee Advisor

After installing the latest version of the bundle, Go to [1] and check if the bundle is still mapped to the older jar file.

If yes, there might be something wrong with the OSGI installer. You can follow the steps below:

- Stop the AEM instance

- Go to <AEM_Installation_Directory>crx-quickstart directory

- Rename the launchpad to launchpad_bkp

- Start the instance and this should create a new launchpad folder. Wait for the instance to startup

- Stop the instance and delete the newly created launchpad folder

- Restore launchpad_bkp to launchpad

- Start the instance

[1] http://<host>:<port>/system/console/osgi-installer

Level 5

We are using snapshot builds.  It does look like it is being mapped to the one installed on the 23rd.  I tried the above steps but nothing changed.  Package installs with latest front end changes but the install folder doesn't seem to get picked up anymore.  I don't see anything in the logs either.

com.xxx.yyy.wcms.core1571846896324/200jcrinstall:/apps/yyy/install/yyy-wcms.core-3.11.1-SNAPSHOT.jar (3.11.1.SNAPSHOT)INSTALLED
18:53:38:067 2019-Oct-23

Employee

RE : We are using snapshot builds.

Level 5

We use snapshot builds for testing.  But either way, we still are running into the same issue with release versions.  Unless there is something drastically wrong that snapshot builds screw it all up.

Employee

Generally with SNAPSHOT bundles you're not incrementing the build number and newer deploys won't get picked up

So for example the bundle from the 23rd that was picked up under :

/apps/yyy/install/yyy-wcms.core-3.11.1-SNAPSHOT.jar

What's the current build you're trying to deploy today on the 30th? Is it still 3.11.1 ?

Level 5

It is.  However, I can easily change this.  The odd thing is though, if I uninstall the package and delete it, it still shows up in the osgi-installer.  Is that normal?

Employee

Try incrementing the build number to 3.11.2 and I assure you it will pick up the bundle.

In regards to the uninstall behavior you're seeing I'd need to see logs.  If this is a concern for you, please raise a Daycare ticket.

Level 5

While the new 3.11.2 appears in the install folder, the osgi is still pointed to the older version, still saying installed on the 23rd.

Employee

Did you just rename the JAR file, or did you increment the build in the POM files and re-compile?

Level 5

hahahahha... of course I incremented the build in the POM files and re-compiled.

Correct answer by
Employee

Just checking. 

Feel free to log a Daycare ticket to troubleshoot this further.

Level 5

It seems to have started to happen when we switched over to an external datastore and shared between author and publish (going the binaryless replication route).  What is also interesting is that the .ser files under launchpad/installer are all from before those dates too.

Level 2

I did not see this issue with the 6.5 beta version. However, with archetype13-based projects, the alpha 6.5.4 version of AEM doesn't seem to update a bundle contained within a package if the bundle is already installed. (I didn't try updating the version of the bundle, since I'm just updating the snapshot version in development.) However, using an archetype23-based project against the alpha 6.5.4 version of AEM seems to work fine. 

I determined that with archetype13, the Maven build still generates the correct packages and AEM actually returns a 200 ok message. So, something is going wrong within AEM but I didn't see any related logs being generated and wasn't motivated to debug this since I've moved on to archetype23. 

In cases where I still need to work with an archetype13-based project, I just define an alias for a curl command to directly update the bundle (i.e. not part of a package) in AEM and that works just fine.