Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

AEM 6.3 to 6.5 in-place upgrade - reference/property/disabled/counter type (non-lucene) indexes?

Level 4

I'm practicing this upgrade and am working to rebuild all indexes. I've removed all checkpoints (rm-all), compacted the segmentstore, deleted the /repository/index folder, and restarted the instance. Lucene indexes get rebuilt. Oak Run reports they are valid, however it also says many non-Lucene indexes were ignored.

In the past, I believe removing all checkpoints caused more than the Lucene indexes to rebuild.

But in this case, removing all checkpoints, compacting segmentstore, deleting the /repository/index folder, and restarting, only rebuilds the Lucene indexes.

Looking at /libs/granite/operations/content/diagnosistools/indexManager.html, it reports all the non-Lucene indexes are of type reference, property, disabled, or counter? I had at one point tried to rebuild them by switching the rebuild flag to true in crxde - it seemed to start reindexing, but saving the flag change resulted in a repository error. 

Do I need to rebuild and re-enable these non-Lucene indexes? If so, how should I do it? In crxde, or some other way?

Related, when will the repository gain more checkpoints after having removed all of them? What is a checkpoint anyway? Why are there sometimes more than 1?

Ignored indexes as these are not of type lucene:
- /oak:index/cqCloudServiceConfig
- /oak:index/cqMaster
- /oak:index/jcrLanguage
- /oak:index/extensionType
- /oak:index/containeeInstanceId
- /oak:index/active
- /oak:index/cqIsCommunitySite
- /oak:index/repMembers
- /oak:index/processingProfile
- /oak:index/counter
- /oak:index/cqDefaultFormFor
- /oak:index/slingResourceSuperType
- /oak:index/cqCugEnabled
- /oak:index/cqAcUUID
- /oak:index/externalPrincipalNames
- /oak:index/campaignpath
- /oak:index/eclink
- /oak:index/subType
- /oak:index/damS7watch
- /oak:index/acPrincipalName
- /oak:index/fpContentType
- /oak:index/cqVariantFamily
- /oak:index/uuid
- /oak:index/slingVanityPath
- /oak:index/jcrLockOwner
- /oak:index/deviceIdentificationMode
- /oak:index/cqCloudServiceConfigs
- /oak:index/slingResources
- /oak:index/cqPayloadPath
- /oak:index/fpNodeType
- /oak:index/contentPath
- /oak:index/ecuuid
- /oak:index/cqOwnerCanvasPage
- /oak:index/nodetype
- /oak:index/cqTemplate
- /oak:index/verb
- /oak:index/reference
- /oak:index/lockCreated
- /oak:index/principalName
- /oak:index/guideComponentType
- /oak:index/externalId
- /oak:index/slingAlias
- /oak:index/fragmentPath
- /oak:index/authorizableId
- /oak:index/slingResourceType
- /oak:index/cqKeywords
- /oak:index/damStatus
- /content/oak:index/enablementResourceName

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@this-that-the-otter  I am also not seeing any button for re-index at the OOTB index manager - seems to me a known defect - /libs/granite/operations/content/diagnosistools/indexManager.html 

I think you can use /apps/acs-commons/content/oak-index-manager.html - it works well !!

Apart from optimized code, indexing plays a very important role in an application running smoothly. But saying so, re-indexing can be an expensive operation. Please ensure you understand the impact of the system or (do a dry run over local)  before performing a reindex, and especially a bulk re-index on higher environments.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

@this-that-the-otter  can you try reindexing using the oak index manager : 

https://blogs.perficient.com/2017/04/19/rebuild-indexes-in-aem-with-oak-index-manager

Reindex using OAK Index Manager

Thanks for the info Pavalli.

I have ACS Commons 5.0.14 - the index manager is here for me: 

/apps/acs-commons/content/oak-index-manager.html

it is deprecated, but looks like a good interface to manage indexes. 

https://adobe-consulting-services.github.io/acs-aem-commons/features/deprecated/oak-index-manager/in... 

Says: 

Why is this deprecated?
AEM 6.2+ now contains a better and more current version of Oak Index Manager located at:

http://localhost:XXXX/libs/granite/operations/content/diagnosis/tool.html/granite_oakindexmanager

The "better and more current" tool they mention above doesn't look to have the ability to rebuild indexes? Did they deprecate for something less functional? Maybe I'm not seeing how the UI works in /libs/granite/operations/content/diagnosistools/indexManager.html to re-index an index?

Back to the question, do I need to re-index the type: reference, property, disabled, or counter indexes?

Thanks!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@this-that-the-otter  I am also not seeing any button for re-index at the OOTB index manager - seems to me a known defect - /libs/granite/operations/content/diagnosistools/indexManager.html 

I think you can use /apps/acs-commons/content/oak-index-manager.html - it works well !!

Apart from optimized code, indexing plays a very important role in an application running smoothly. But saying so, re-indexing can be an expensive operation. Please ensure you understand the impact of the system or (do a dry run over local)  before performing a reindex, and especially a bulk re-index on higher environments.

Hope this helps.