Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

AEM 6.3 SP2 - Replace <b> with <strong> and <i> with <em> in Rich Text Editor

Level 2

Hi All,

I want to replace <b> with <strong> and <i> with <em> in rte in AEM 6.3 SP2. I already tried below solutions but no luck as they all are for AEM 6.1.

1. Experiencing Adobe Experience Manager - Day CQ: AEM 61 - Touch UI Rich Text Editor Remove Bold and A...

2. Overriding '/libs/clientlibs/granite/richtext/core/js/commands/DefaultFormatting.js' with <b> to <strong>

3. Adding 'semanticMarkupMap' node in rte for changing of <b> to <strong>.

Whenever i author rte in dialog, it changes <b> to <strong> but the moment i click ok or 'view Source', it changes back to <b>.

Can you please provide some inputs?

18 Replies

Level 10

Did you follow this article exactly - enter all of the plug-in code?

Level 10

Also - we are checking with the author to see if there is an updated version of this article.

Level 2

Yeah i did all the steps but still was not able to see the new Strong plugin. Can you provide any package or newer version of article specific to AEM 6.3?

Level 1

I've had luck with adding this as a sibling to the RTE dialog's <uiSettings> and <rtePlugins> nodes.

<htmlRules jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured">
  <docType jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured">
  <typeConfig jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured"
   useSemanticMarkup="{Boolean}true">
  <semanticMarkupMap
   b="strong"
   i="em"/>
  </typeConfig>
  </docType>
</htmlRules>

Note that if text has already been authored with <b> and <i> tags you will need to go in and add a space somewhere in the rte editor to pick up the change and swap the tags.

Level 2

Fedrick,

<semanticMarkupMap
   b="strong"
   i="em"/>

shouldn't it be

<typeConfig jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured"

useSemanticMarkup="{Boolean}true">

<semanticMarkupMap jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured"

b="strong"

i="em"/>

</typeConfig>

not sure, how without jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured" we can enter the value.

Please clarify.. I tried it as a node, but still not working... Im on AEM 6.4

Employee

I got the knowledge of this resolution from my colleague so I post the knowledge instead of my colleague.

The best practice is as follows in AEM6.4.

1. cq:editConfig

/apps/core/wcm/components/text/v2/text/cq:editConfig/cq:inplaceEditing/config/htmlRules/do cType/typeConfig

@useSemanticMarkup [boolean] = true

/apps/core/wcm/components/text/v2/text/cq:editConfig/cq:inplaceEditing/config/htmlRules/d ocType/typeConfig/semanticMarkupMap

@b [String] = "strong"

@i [String] = "em"

RTE_1.png

2. cq:dialog

(a) Add a property "features" to rtePlugins/misctools node.

/apps/core/wcm/components/text/v2/text/cq:dialog/content/items/tabs/items/properties/items/columns/items/column/items/text/rtePlugins/misctools

@features [String] = "*"

RTE_3.png

(b) Add misctools#sourceedit in "toolbar" properties of the below nodes.

/apps/core/wcm/components/text/v2/text/cq:dialog/content/items/tabs/items/properties/items/columns/items/column/items/text/uiSettings/cui/inline

/apps/core/wcm/components/text/v2/text/cq:dialog/content/items/tabs/items/properties/items/columns/items/column/items/text/uiSettings/cui/dialogFullScreen

RTE_4.png

(c) Create the following node structure and set properties same as "1. cq:editConfig".

/apps/core/wcm/components/text/v2/text/cq:dialog/content/items/tabs/items/properties/items/columns/items/column/items/text/htmlRules/docType/typeConfig

@useSemanticMarkup [boolean] = true

/apps/core/wcm/components/text/v2/text/cq:editConfig/cq:inplaceEditing/config/htmlRules/d ocType/typeConfig/semanticMarkupMap

@b [String] = "strong"

@i [String] = "em"

Best,

Level 2

Hi hibikik39369812​,

i tried the above said thing but i am not able to get strong or em tags , infact the bold and italic tags are vanished from my dialog. Is there any other way to do it?

regards,

Srikar.Y

Level 10

Could you share screenshots/steps that you performed? Do you see any errors in console log?

What version of AEM do you use?

Employee

Hi Srikar,

Which are you using the version of AEM?

I tried it on AEM6.4.

Best,

Hibiki

Level 7

Hi,

In 6.5 SP4, I have tried all the mentioned solutions without having success. If anyone got a solution in 6.5 sp please put it here.

Level 3

Hi @JakeCham ,

Can you pls try to refer/map the <htmlRules> node created to the respective RTE field in your dialog? because this helped me fix the issue in 6.5.

Let me know if it helps

<richTextContent
jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured"
sling:resourceType="cq/gui/components/authoring/dialog/richtext"
fieldDescription="Enter content to be displayed"
fieldLabel="Rich text content"
name="./richTextContent"
useFixedInlineToolbar="{Boolean}true">
<rtePlugins
sling:resourceSuperType="/apps/<path to config>/rtePlugins"/>
<uiSettings
sling:resourceSuperType="/apps/<path to config>/uiSettings"/>
<htmlRules
sling:resourceSuperType="/apps/<path to config>/htmlRules"/>

Level 2

Hi pandian, 
Can you elaborate on the 

sling:resourceSuperType="/apps/<path to config>/htmlRules"/>

Which path to config here? 

Level 3

Hi @Nirmal_Kumar1,

Normally you would have a path in which you would have configured the RTE settings, for example pls see the first screenshot from @hibikik74610607 . So that path of that node should be mapped to the RTE field separately for rtePlugins, uiSettings and htmlRules. Hope this helps.

Level 2

This fix worked, but it failed in situations like
<strong style="color:green">, where strong is changed to b but it omitted the style and class used inside it.
This happened for all cases whether it is changed from

• strong to b
  • b to strong
  • b to b
  • strong to strong, the class and style used inside have been lost.

So working on a solution to fix this.

Level 3

Thanks for the update, good to hear that it is working, and pls post if you are able to sort out the color stuff. Unfortunately I didn't try that.