Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

AEM 6.1 unexpectedly shutting down

Level 1

Has anyone experienced AEM 6.1 unexpectedly shutting down? It's not a process crash - the logs indicate a full shutdown of felix and everything stopping nicely - no errors. We can't see what is triggering this - it's at odd times of day - it happened yesterday and today on the same publish instance - has anyone experienced this? Any idea what could cause unexpected AEM 6.1 shutdown? 

Thanks,

Beth

6 Replies

Level 10

I have asked our support team to look at this. I am not aware of any community KBs that addressed this situation. 

Level 10

is it happening on every instance of AEM version or only a particular instance of AEM ? 

Did it started recently or from the instance instantiation ? 

Administrator

Hi 

Is this behavior started recently? if so, please try to revert the code changes to the change list till it was working fine.

And if you try it on vanilla instance, is it still happening ?

Thanks and Regards

Kautuk Sahni

Kautuk Sahni

Level 1

Hi all,

1. It's happened on one particular instance - we have 4 production publish instances, and this is just one of them.

2. Not related to a code update.

3. It started recently - not since the instance was created.

I guess it has to be some rogue monitoring script or tool that is doing it, but I thought perhaps that there was some security setting or feature in AEM that would cause it to shut down?

Level 10

Support response on this:

I have never seen such an issue before.  It sounds like something outside of AEM is sending a SIGTERM (kill) signal to the AEM java process.  I would suggest they look for patterns to see if it always happens at the same time of day, whether there are any suspicious cron jobs.  Also enable audit logging in linux to see if somebody or something is shutting it down

Level 4

What platform is it on, Windows or Linux?  Windows did you check the event log?  Linux did you check the /var/logs/messages.  I've seen instances shut down on Linux due to out of memory prevention.