Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

Adobe SME - Has AEM 6.1 closed the ability to extend SAML authentication class? SamlAuthenticationHandler

Level 5

We had implemented custom SAML handler and with 6.1 this would make it tough for us to migrate/

Can i get an answer from Adobe Folks on this?

com.adobe.granite.auth.saml.SamlAuthenticationHandler

is this class no longer extensible in 6.1? and why?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hello chetanvajre2014

Yes, the SAML authentication handler implementation is no longer exported (since 5.6.1 IIRC). As a proprietary implementation it has never been intended to be extended on project level and had only been exported by 'accident'. 

However, most of the reusable functionality is available from the helper classes in com.adobe.granite.auth.saml.util - these can be used or extended freely in case a custom SAML handler implementation is necessary for your project.

Best greetings

Lars

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 10

I sent this question to the AEM Eng team. 

Employee

Hi,

while waiting for an official answer, I came across the same issue and it seems you are correct in your assumption, but can you explain why you needed the custom authentication handler? This is to see if their is an alternative approach you could use.

Regards,

Opkar

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hello chetanvajre2014

Yes, the SAML authentication handler implementation is no longer exported (since 5.6.1 IIRC). As a proprietary implementation it has never been intended to be extended on project level and had only been exported by 'accident'. 

However, most of the reusable functionality is available from the helper classes in com.adobe.granite.auth.saml.util - these can be used or extended freely in case a custom SAML handler implementation is necessary for your project.

Best greetings

Lars

Level 5

Custom authentication was implemented for us by Adobe Professional Services. We do a bunch of cleanup after logging in including completely destroying old memberships and creating new ones etc.

Lars (below in the thread) recommended using com.adobe.granite.auth.saml.util to achieve the same results. Should we try that?

Employee

chetanvajre2014 wrote...

Custom authentication was implemented for us by Adobe Professional Services. We do a bunch of cleanup after logging in including completely destroying old memberships and creating new ones etc.

Lars (below in the thread) recommended using com.adobe.granite.auth.saml.util to achieve the same results. Should we try that?

This would be the recommended approach.

Regards,

Opkar

Level 2

chetanvajre2014 wrote...

Could you possibly share a sample of how can we customize the SAML based authentication i.e. adding a single element extra in our SAML Request to the IDP ?

Thanks,

Hemant