Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Adobe Developers Live 2021, Session | Environment variables with AEM as a Cloud Service

Administrator

BlogImage.jpg

Session Details

Learn how to manage environment variables with AEM as a Cloud Service and use them in the context of a build process or OSGI configuration variables.

Session Recording

Session Schedule

9-Feb, 11:45 AM - 12:15 PM PST

Speaker(s)

Shankari Panchapakesan & Raul Hudea

Full Schedule

Check Here

Q&A

Please use this thread to ask the question related to this Session.

Session FAQs

Q. Can you use the json format and environment variables for osgi configs also in on-premise or AMS AEM's 

A. the variable interpolation works with any configuration serialization -- properties, json, sling:OsgiConfig nodes | there is a way to use this with the AEM as a Cloud Service SDK 

Q. Can I set multiple variables at once? 

A. yes multiple variables can be set using the CLI tool all at one time 

Q. Are the secrets / configs added to the store version? Or overwritten? 

A. The latest version will be used 

Q. Variables are set and stored, for any update they need to be deleted prior a release? 

A. correct, no delete needed 

Q. Is this functionality available only in AEM Cloud Services? How about AEM 6.5 with CM? 

A. pipeline variables are available with AEM 6.5 with CM 

Q. Can but they are set for author and publish? 

A. It has to be set at the environment level | depending on what you want to do you can set variables like AUTHOR_PASSWORD and PUBLISH_PASSWORD 

Q. where can I get AEM AIO CLI? 

A. here is the plugin: https://github.com/adobe/aio-cli-plugin-cloudmanager 

Q. does aio come default with cloud manager? or it needs separate license 

A. Chandu Thimmareddy  aio is the standard way to interact with AEM as a Cloud Service | no additional license needed 

Q. Can we change Environment variable at run time, when AEM is running ? like a token or password 

A. Yes, but it is not instant. It takes a little time to be applied (the environment will be in updating state while variables are being updated in AEM) 

Q. Can we set environment variables prior to code deploy? 

A. Yes, as long as the environment is in Running state. 

Q. "secret"-variables means what in detail regarding security? 

A. Secrets are stored encrypted at rest 

Q. For OSGi configs can we use Secret Storage solutions like Azure Key Vault as well ? 

A. No.  

Q. But how to set passwords and tokens for Local AEM sdk, as its not connected to cloud manager? 

A. The org.apache.felix.configadmin.plugin.interpolation.secretsdir needs to be set. More details can be found at https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/implementing/deploying/conf...

Q. AEM Cloud SDK? did you mean AEM as a Cloud Service SDK? 

A. AEM as a Cloud Service SDK 

Don't forget to register yourself for this session using the registration link shared above. 

Kautuk Sahni
8 Replies

Level 1

@kautuk_sahni  - I coundnt find video attached here, Can you pls upload video ?

Administrator

Let me check this internally and get back to you.

Kautuk Sahni

Level 3

@kautuk_sahni Is there documentation/pdf to go along with this presentation?  Are there some examples somewhere?  I see it was mentioned it can be used to disable cache in dev.  Is there an example of this? Thanks!