Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Adobe Cumulative Fix Pack 6.4.8.4 will not install on AEM Author Server

Level 2

Recently, we have decided to upgrade our working environment to AEM version 6.4.8.4. 

Installation has been way of SP 6.4.8.0, followed by CFP's 6.4.8.2, and then 6.4.8.4. However, for one of our AEM (Author mode) servers, despite the Package Manager showing CFP 6.4.8.4 as installed, our AEM version is "stuck" on 6.4.8.2. 

Here is a quick breakdown of what either we have tried or have discovered

• AEM restarted
  • SP and CFP's 6.4.8.2 & 6.4.8.4 "reinstalled" using the package manager
  • After "installation", file updater.aem-6.4.8-cfp-1.0.0.jar is still present on the /libs/system/aem-6.4.8-cfp-4.0/install/1 node
  • file updater.aem-6.4.8-cfp-1.0.0.jar seems to be also present on the /libs/system/aem-6.4.8-cfp-2.0/install/1 node
  • On comparing error.log between a successful install (on another server) and the problem server, we seem to be "missing" events such as com.adobe.granite.installer.Updater Finished updater AEM-6.4.8-Cumulative-Fix-Pack-4, or Removing bundle at /libs/system/aem-6.4.8-cfp-4.0/install/1/updater.aem-6.4.8-cfp-1.0.0.jar or com.adobe.granite.installer.Updater Content Package AEM-6.4.8-Cumulative-Fix-Pack-4 Installed successfully
  • It is like the update process has stopped for some reason, but there is no clear reason why this is the case.
  • This issue can be reproducible on a local AEM by copying the content of the entire /libs folder, and installing this on a local AEM. 

I am after some ideas of where to go with this in order to get this server updated as required.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi @david_dorr!

That sounds definitely somewhat abnormal and should not have happened. In such cases, it's mostly hard to determine the exact cause of the issue. There are a couple of things that you can try:

• Check if there is a Sling "pause installation" marker present at /system/sling/installer/jcr/pauseInstallation. If so, try to remove it (delete the according node) and repeat the installation.
  • Try to clean as much of the CFPs contents as possible (best to do for all existing CFPs; you should only need the latest one), e. g. remove the package (and subpackages) from package manager, remove the "install" nodes containing the CFPs sub-packages/bundles, etc. and try a "fresh" upload and installation of the CFP.
  • For lower environments it's sometimes more time efficient to just rebuild and redeploy it from scratch, restore a backup or clone it from a working environment.
  • You mention that you can reproduce the behavior on a local environment. Have you tried increasing log levels (e. g. for upgrade.log) and analyzing the issue locally?

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Employee Advisor

@david_dorrHopefully you've checked Forced Install on package installation?

Level 2

Could you clarify about this "forced install"???
There is a "force upload" when you upload a package. I have downloaded the CFP 6.4.8.4 package again from the server and performed a MD5 checksum. This matches the 6.4.8.4 package which was uploaded.

Employee Advisor
Yes I was talking about force upload, does that not work for you?

Level 2
Force Uploading did not work in this particular instance. Many thanks for your suggestions though..

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi @david_dorr!

That sounds definitely somewhat abnormal and should not have happened. In such cases, it's mostly hard to determine the exact cause of the issue. There are a couple of things that you can try:

• Check if there is a Sling "pause installation" marker present at /system/sling/installer/jcr/pauseInstallation. If so, try to remove it (delete the according node) and repeat the installation.
  • Try to clean as much of the CFPs contents as possible (best to do for all existing CFPs; you should only need the latest one), e. g. remove the package (and subpackages) from package manager, remove the "install" nodes containing the CFPs sub-packages/bundles, etc. and try a "fresh" upload and installation of the CFP.
  • For lower environments it's sometimes more time efficient to just rebuild and redeploy it from scratch, restore a backup or clone it from a working environment.
  • You mention that you can reproduce the behavior on a local environment. Have you tried increasing log levels (e. g. for upgrade.log) and analyzing the issue locally?

Hope that helps!

Level 2

This here turned out to be the correct path. The advice above is good, and anyone else should follow these steps.

For me, the actual solution was "uninstalling" each CFP starting at 4.0, and then deleting the actual CFP package. At the same time, you want to monitor the crx console, namely, /libs/system/aem-6.4.8-cfp-4.0/install/1 to ensure that the updater.aem-6.4.8-cfp-1.0.0.jar file is truly gone. If not, delete everything from the install node, so that only the /libs/system/aem-6.4.8-cfp-4.0 folder remains. Now repeat for CFP 3.0 and CFP 2.0.

Finally, reupload CFP 4.0, and install. For me, this solved my problem. Many thanks Markus...

Level 6

@david_dorr Can you try to check and install aem-6.4.8-cfp-3.0.zip package. Actually we have also migrated to AEM 6.4.8 and we just installed the below packages and it works for us.

SP - aem-service-pkg-6.4.8.zip

CFP - aem-6.4.8-cfp-3.0.zip

Thank You.

Level 2
For me, this solution did not work. There must have been some kind of install problem with CFP 2.0, and hence I seemed to be "stuck" there. This was eventually solved by uninstalling and deleting CFP 2.0