Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.
SOLVED

Add new field in start workflow popup. is it feasible? if yes please share the steps.

Level 1

There is a requirement to get input from author when he starts workflow similar to existing field "Enter title of workflow", lets say "Author comments" in the red highlighted area shown in below screenshot. 

bhagiyabalajis7_0-1719903804533.png

When I debugged for existing field "Enter title of workflow", I see the field input is hardcoded in jsp file and no where I could see the data is stored in AEM after Start workflow button is clicked. 

bhagiyabalajis7_1-1719904345897.png

My question: Is it possible to add new field by customizing the jsp and store to AEM. Later pass the new field data from AEM to backend logic to show it in a email sent to approver?

Also is this correct practice to override the out of the box jsp code? 

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @bhagiyabalajis7 
You can try to overlay this and add new text filed, like you showed in the above example.

Arun Patidar

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @bhagiyabalajis7 
You can try to overlay this and add new text filed, like you showed in the above example.

Arun Patidar

Community Advisor

Hi, 

Yes, using an overlay is typically the correct approach in these situations. However, for your specific scenario, please keep in mind that the issue isn't just about adding the new UI field. You also need to consider how to handle this new field. The servlet that currently receives data ("/var/workflow/instances") won't manage this additional information you're posting. Therefore, you should also post to a different custom servlet, which will then trigger your workflow with this additional metadata.

Hope this helps.

Esteban Bustamante

Administrator

@bhagiyabalajis7 Did you find the suggestion helpful? Please let us know if you require more information. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you've discovered a solution yourself, we would appreciate it if you could share it with the community. Thank you! 

Kautuk Sahni