Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

how do you teach interactivity?

Level 2

I teach a college level interactivity with indesign course and would like to be able to teach DPS again, but I don't know how to do that in CC2015. With CC2014 we could preview our work with adobe content viewer but that is now gone. To preview DPS it now seems one has to buy a commercial license first. Why is this? Students can still preview PDF, SWF and ePUB without paying more; what's different in DPS from these formats?

How can students learn DPS if they can't see what they are doing? Do they have to get a job and learn it there? Having to know something to get a job to learn how to do what is required to get the job seems absurd. Or is there some academic variant of the commercial license that schools can get to allow DPS previewing? I'd like to know.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

Moved to DPS2015 forum.

Unfortunately, you'll need a DPS license to use it as would the students. This is an enterprise solution and though I suspect there will eventually be a desktop preview available, if you want to teach the overlays, you'll need to do so using CC2014.

FWIW, those overlays have not changed one bit though the already deprecated panorama has been removed from CC2015.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Level 1

I understand DPS is in Beta for InDesign CC2015, you can still use CC2014.

There are more things than DPS for interactivity for example Edge Animate or as in this book: http://www.amazon.com/Creating-Animations-Adobe-InDesign-Step/dp/0134176111/ref=sr_1_32?s=books&ie=U...

Correct answer by
Level 6

Moved to DPS2015 forum.

Unfortunately, you'll need a DPS license to use it as would the students. This is an enterprise solution and though I suspect there will eventually be a desktop preview available, if you want to teach the overlays, you'll need to do so using CC2014.

FWIW, those overlays have not changed one bit though the already deprecated panorama has been removed from CC2015.

Level 6

While it is still being developed, it is NOT in beta.

Level 2

thanks for the quick replies...

1) i do have an overlays exercise showing students what "should" work but it's not the same as have proof-in-hand of it really working.

2) i am waiting to see what an enterprise licence would cost the school--i have little hope that they will find i reasonable. Adobe would brag if it were so, yes? and they are are not doing that.

3) IT removed CC2014 from the school machines when they installed CC2015 plus i've never had much luck with indesign switching around among version. its more like AI than PS that way

4) a different subject : adobe digital editions is weird on my new windows 10 machine, when it opens it flies off the monitor, i can find it on task view but can't use it otherwise what am i doing wrong?

Level 6

1. Agreed

2. Agreed

3. I’m not talking about moving between versions. Use CC2014 for anything pertaining to DPS Classic

4. There’s a forum for ADE: https://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_digital_editions

Level 6

Old post. The official launch was in July.

Level 6

Bob, Would the students actually need a license, or just an Adobe ID? I've thought about this in 2 different scenarios.  1: Handle it like the classes were handed at MAX, where the school would set up the license and the project, and add a class full of users (Adobe IDs) such as DPSClass_user01@someschool.edu, DPSClass_user02@someschool.edu, etc... and each student would login with their assigned username.  This can get messy if there are multiple classes for the same material, but, could still be handled nonetheless... 2: Have the school set up the license and the project, require each student to sign up for an AdobeID. Have the instructor add all of his student's adobe IDs to the class project. Each student uses his/her own adobe ID to login to the DPS portal and project they're assigned to.

Please let me know if I'm missing something.

-Tommy

Level 6

You're correct. The students would simply need to be set up as users with their IDs but the school would need a license in order to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Level 2

replying to all, not myself,

thanks for the thoughts on my question. my options seem to be....

1) i have asked some who can ask some about the college buying a license; i await a reply but i kinda don't think they'll want to pay more for only a couple of classes a year. if they do i 'll have to learn how to do all the new cloud-centric stuff there.so does anyone know of any instruction beyond the tuts at the adobe help site that may be useful?

2) i can also push the course toward more sophisticated animation programs like EA--i'd like that i'm a doodler not a coder at heart-- but then there may be too much overlap with other courses; once again i have to ask some one who can ask some one.

3) or stick with formats like PDF, SWF, and the two flavors of ePUB that all have free and/or 3rd party readers, concentrate on the art of it but maybe toss in a little coding and let the students learn the DPS stuff when they get a job that requires it.

thanks again,

--hj

Level 6

My thoughts:

1. For interactivity in DPS and DPS 2015 you can check out my lynda.com courses. Digital Publishing Suite Essential Training and Developing Multi State Objects with InDesign

2. What’s the end game here? EA seems to have stagnated a bit and it’s HTML only.

3. Interactive PDF beyond forms is, IMO, completely irrelevant today and SWF is pretty much dead all together. Fixed Layout EPUB is certainly worth pursuing.

Hope that helps