Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

How do I build different renditions with DPS 2015?

Level 1

I'm wrapping up the iPhone version, and now I need to resize for the tablet. My question is, how do I go about doing this in the DPS portal? I'm not seeing it in any of the material Adobe has provided.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

A few questions:

Does your project include 1 top-level collection or 2 top-level collections? Select "Collections" in the left rail, and then look for either one collection called "default" or two collections called "default phone" and "default tablet." If you just have a "default" collection, it means all your content will appear on both phones and tablets. If you have both "default phone" and "default tablet," you need to specify content for the tablet collection. This is determined by a project setting that you specify when creating the project. At this time, you cannot edit this setting.

Do you want to include different content for tablets and phones, or do you want to use the same content for both? As a general rule, HTML articles work well on both phones and tablets, but for fixed-layout (InDesign-based) articles, you might want to consider creating separate articles for phones and tablets.

Next week's release includes an exciting new feature that we're calling "layout renditions." When you define a layout template, you'll be able to create different layouts (or renditions) for tablets, phones, and the web. For any collection that appears in both phones and tablets, you'll be able to design different browse page layouts for the target device.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

A few questions:

Does your project include 1 top-level collection or 2 top-level collections? Select "Collections" in the left rail, and then look for either one collection called "default" or two collections called "default phone" and "default tablet." If you just have a "default" collection, it means all your content will appear on both phones and tablets. If you have both "default phone" and "default tablet," you need to specify content for the tablet collection. This is determined by a project setting that you specify when creating the project. At this time, you cannot edit this setting.

Do you want to include different content for tablets and phones, or do you want to use the same content for both? As a general rule, HTML articles work well on both phones and tablets, but for fixed-layout (InDesign-based) articles, you might want to consider creating separate articles for phones and tablets.

Next week's release includes an exciting new feature that we're calling "layout renditions." When you define a layout template, you'll be able to create different layouts (or renditions) for tablets, phones, and the web. For any collection that appears in both phones and tablets, you'll be able to design different browse page layouts for the target device.

Level 1

Ah, ok. Yes, it is a 1 top level collection. Unfortunately when I built the project, I didn't know exactly what that meant. I need it to be 2 top level, but it looks like I won't be able to change that. Is there a work around? It's a client app, and I'd like to avoid any huge rebuild solely for the purpose of missing something that they had already approved.

What do you suggest I do?

Employee

Are you using HTML articles or InDesign-based articles? As I mentioned, if you're using HTML articles, you'll probably be fine with just the 1 top-level collection. Then you'll be able to define different browse page layouts for phones and tablets with next week's release. But if you want different articles for phones and tablets, you don't have much of a choice. You'll need to create a new project with two top-level collections. Unfortunately, there is no way to duplicate a project at this time.

Level 1

That's what I was afraid of. I built it in InDesign.

Thank you!!