Expand my Community achievements bar.

Can I duplicate an app in the DPS Portal?

Level 2

We need two apps for one client. The majority of the content is the same in the two apps with a small portion being unique because of the audiences. Our current strategy is to build everything under 1 bundle id, duplicate the entire app structure/contents, strip out/change collections and articles, and upload it under a second bundle id. We want to avoid having to rebuild the second app from scratch since it is almost a mirror image of the first app. Is this possible to duplicate an app in the DPS portal?

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

Creating 2 Apps under the same project will not provide the ability to get different content in those Apps, this is project driven.

If the content is different 'because of the audiences', then you might want it look into building one App with restricted collections (see Now Available in DPS 2015: Restricted Collections | Adobe Digital Publishing Solution)

Level 2

Thank you for that idea but people are not signing in to use our app. So there isn't a way to duplicate the app structure and contents like you would a card or layout? We would need to build the app all over again in the DPS Portal?

Employee Advisor

Yes I don't think I'm missing anything but I believe you would need a separate project to distribute different content in that case, i.e.: a second App.

If you were to simply create a second App under the same project, it would display the same content.

The only way I know to target different audiences within a single App is Direct Entitlement but as you rightly said it does require signing in.

Level 6

A project has content and can have more than one app (iOS, Android, Windows, Preflight, Web Viewer) -- but all apps in the project deliver the same content.

If you want different content in two apps, you need two projects. And currently there is no mechanism to copy/duplicate/clone a project.

You would need to recreate the content, structure, and layouts for the second project.

Level 2

That was the answer I was looking for! Thanks Colin!