Expand my Community achievements bar.

Version history is not created for AEM forms

Community Advisor

Hello Team, We have requirement where users will be uploading forms to AEM repository and they will keep on updating forms data and publish the forms. We expect versions to be created for forms each time when we update form and publish, so that we can revert to previous versions of form if required. But version history is not created for AEM forms. We have uploaded XDP forms in AEM and when we publish forms using 'Publish' option from Forms console[1], the version history is not created/stored in aem repository. Please advise. [1]: http://:/aem/forms.html/content/dam/formsanddocuments

6 Replies

Community Advisor

Team, Can some please advise on this? I heard AEM doesn't support versioning of Adaptive Forms or XFA forms. Please advise. FYI, We are using AEM 6.3. Thanks In Advance Siva

Level 10

Hey - please allow the community some time - i have asked our internal team to verify this for you.

Community Advisor

sure Smacdonald, Please advise whenever you've an update on this.

Level 1

It seems the versioning feature is not supported for AEM Forms by design. It would be a feature request until unless if it is not in the Adobe Product Road-map.

-RK

Level 1

Any updates on this?  Adobe product roadmap? Component? We also have the requirement for versioning adaptive forms.

Level 7

We looked into this a while ago and it is made much more complex when you consider that adaptive forms have fragments (which are basically cut-down forms). So while you might revert your main "form" back in version, what happens to the linked fragments that might be shared amongst multiple forms? You can't revert a fragment back becase it might break a bunch of forms that it is linked into.

Even using the "copy" feature you find that the copied form has all of its fragments linked to the original set of fragments and doesn't deep-copy a new set for you, so for big forms with lots of shared fragments, versioning or even simply copying has a lot of considerations.

Then there is AEM Forms Workflows which has deployable workflow versions depending on what is deployed on the JEE server. If you are using XDP assets for your forms, then the XDP version is used with the correct workflow version as it is a published asset inside the LCA. However, if your JEE workflow uses an adpative form, all versions of the workflow will use the published adaptive form within CRX. Even the old workflow versions. Nightmare.

There is a lot to this but as I understand it, adaptive forms are not versionable.

edit: spelling