Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to Password-Protect PDF Form for Design Editing in Adobe Experience Manager 6.5

Level 3

Hello:

I have a dynamic PDF form that can be filled in. I want to password-protect it so that only those with the password can open and edit/view the underlying code in the designer.

However, I don't want Adobe (or any PDF reader) to prompt for a password for regular viewing or editing. How can I achieve this?

I attempted to use File -> Form Properties -> PDF Security, but it didn't work.

I'm using Adobe Experience Manager - Forms (version: 6.5.0.20220509.49).

Thank you

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

I used the “Protect” app from Tools to set a password specifically for “Editing.”

Now, I can open the form using Adobe Acrobat and edit, save, etc.

However, when I try to open the file using Adobe Experience Manager (AEM), it prompts me for the password, which is exactly what I wanted! But after entering the password once, if I close and reopen AEM and the file, it no longer asks for the password. It seems AEM remembers that I’ve already entered it. Ideally, I’d prefer it to ask for the password every time I open the form using AEM, even though it might be a bit annoying.

I’ll keep searching for a solution and will update if I find anything.

If anyone knows how to achieve this, please comment here.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 10

The PDF-Security settings is the right spot for this. Select the allowed changes and then save your form. You'll be asked to set a password for the, which will be neccessary to edit the form in Designer but not when viewing in a PDF viewer. 

Level 3

hello @radzmar can you tell a little more. Do you mean this?

0experience_0-1723819134192.png

Then what is next?

Thank you

Correct answer by
Level 3

I used the “Protect” app from Tools to set a password specifically for “Editing.”

Now, I can open the form using Adobe Acrobat and edit, save, etc.

However, when I try to open the file using Adobe Experience Manager (AEM), it prompts me for the password, which is exactly what I wanted! But after entering the password once, if I close and reopen AEM and the file, it no longer asks for the password. It seems AEM remembers that I’ve already entered it. Ideally, I’d prefer it to ask for the password every time I open the form using AEM, even though it might be a bit annoying.

I’ll keep searching for a solution and will update if I find anything.

If anyone knows how to achieve this, please comment here.

Level 10

A XFA-based form is just a XDP file in a PDF nutshell. When editing the form in Designer, you're changing the XDP. The surrounding PDF is removed already during opening. Everytime you save the form as a PDF the XDP is packed in a new PDF nutshell, that's why you'll have to apply the password again.