Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Does Adobe plan to discontinue AEM Forms JEE in the near future and recommend to use AEM Forms OSGI instead?

Level 2

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

OSGi has workflows but they cannot be compared to the business process management with Worklist and complex user facing processes. If you do not use interactive BPM workflows in JEE it is indeed easier to migrate.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Employee

No, there is no such plan, as all features/modules of JEE are not yet available in OSGi.

Level 2

Thank you. I know it is not being discontinued now but since Adobe is dedicating lot of resources for OSGI development, should I be developing in OSGI rather than JEE. (or even migrating)

Employee

The only benifit with JEE is that it contains both JEE & OSGi flavours of AEM Forms. Also,  Document Security module is not yet present in AEM Forms OSGi. 

Level 2

Thank you. How do I convince my team to start looking into OSGI migration from JEE as Adobe recommends OSGI over JEE.

Level 7

Our team has built many of the JEE components in OSGI and have migrated complex JEE workflow into OSGI.  Feel free to reach out if you'd like some assistance.

crich@source360group.com

Level 9

Not at all

More innovations are happening on the OSGI stack

Level 9

Yes we recommend you migrate to OSGI or if you are starting fresh start on OSGI

Employee

Hi peterman

AEM Forms JEE is maintained to ensure that the still large group of customers using it remains supported.

The JEE stack does not see inovations, all those are implemented as part of the OSGi stack. This way, JEE customers can use new Forms OSGi features and innovations such as adaptive forms in JEE.

To move away from JEE to OSGi (or even to Forms CS (as a Cloud Service)) is influenced by the JEE bound features used and the kind of use cases implemented.

Business Process Management does not really have a comparable replacement in OSGi (AEM workflows) and to my knowledge will not get one.

General render functionalities to produce PDF or simple orchestrations providing forms, PDF manipulations or conversions (PDFG) ... are available in OSGi.

But this will require a migration project where the code from the JEE side needs to be re-written - using AEM Forms OSGi APIs und workflows. There is no automatic migration tool for these things.

To be future proofed I would recommend considering a move to OSGi or Cloud.

Level 2

Thank you. I believe other than document security, all other features exist in osgi version including workflows (either out of the box or write a custom service)

Correct answer by
Employee

OSGi has workflows but they cannot be compared to the business process management with Worklist and complex user facing processes. If you do not use interactive BPM workflows in JEE it is indeed easier to migrate.