Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Moving assets to a new folder. Will the location be updated on pages with those assets?

Level 2

I'm trying hard not to ask a question that's been answered a number of times, but I keep on getting varying responses. Hopefully, somebody here can set me straight. I want to change the names of some folders. If I change the folder path, will those assets continue to be displayed on existing pages that have them added using the old folder name?

To simplify it a bit, I want to move assets to a new folder structure but I don't want them to show up as broken links on any existing published page.

Thank you in advance for any information and guidance you can provide.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

If you use Breand Portals to publish assets to, the path does not get updated as Brand Portals is managed separately.  Therefore as the best practices, we unpublish from Brand Portasl, then move the assets to new folder hierarchy, then republish the assets to Bradn Portas.  Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 3

Hi Mark,

Perhaps try a test by copying that folder, veriy that the links are in the test folder, then move them.  If the links stayed connected to the new path, then that should validate an answer for you right away.

Level 3

I do not use Sites therefore I cannot test this and let you know.  Sorry about that.

Correct answer by
Level 3

If you use Breand Portals to publish assets to, the path does not get updated as Brand Portals is managed separately.  Therefore as the best practices, we unpublish from Brand Portasl, then move the assets to new folder hierarchy, then republish the assets to Bradn Portas.  Hope this helps.

Level 2

Thank you for the testing idea. Going to give that a shot and see what happens. I really appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Community Advisor

Moving the asset to a new folder structure using the Move operation in DAM will also allow you to update the reference (i.e., pages).

Once you finish the Move operation, test the corresponding page and then Publish the new Asset path and the Page.