Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

I would like to standardize asset schemas

Level 3

We have developed a custom metadata schema in AEM Assets. I would like to share the AEM Assets schema with Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Bridge so that I can populate the defined schema in the asset properties and have those properties get auto updated when the asset is loaded to AEM Assets.

We have some automated processes used to load assets into folders that are not manually maintained by any users. Getting the metadata created and loaded to an asset from the outset would support data standardizations.

Some additional insight into this inquiry and potential product request.

• We have custom metadata schema fields created including "Product type" and "Customer type" fields. These are the custom fields that we would like to include on the native asset so that they are included in the full asset lifecycle. We are using the standard metadata fields like "Title" and "Description" to help support the asset understanding.
  • Our automation is a passing of files from a product MDM tool to AEM that have been uploaded in the MDM solution.
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @james-mke ,
could you please elaborate on what you mean with custom metadata schema?
Forgive me please if i now explain away with the stuff you already know
Did you create new properties, or did you just rearranged existing values?

In case you use the standard XMP properties, you should find all your values within every asset.
And if you use the standard values (dc:title, dc:description, prism:expirationDate, etc.) they will populate the file within the aem as well as in the file itself. 
Since i probably not understand it correctly, im not certain... but your request sound like a customisation of the photoshop/bridge/xmp mask instead of something the AEM can provide.
The other thing, you have an automated process that sorts your files into folders depending of ... how many stars an asset has / Which initial the title uses / which year the file was produced at? You see this is where i loose you. How is sorting files into folders creates metadata for you? 
I am interested to learn more about this if you would like to share more.
I also was interested to create a workflow that adds tags and other metadata based of the filename an asset has.
Currently i used a csv export, excel powerquerry adaption, csv import to enrich files based of filename, creation Date, folder path. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @james-mke ,
could you please elaborate on what you mean with custom metadata schema?
Forgive me please if i now explain away with the stuff you already know
Did you create new properties, or did you just rearranged existing values?

In case you use the standard XMP properties, you should find all your values within every asset.
And if you use the standard values (dc:title, dc:description, prism:expirationDate, etc.) they will populate the file within the aem as well as in the file itself. 
Since i probably not understand it correctly, im not certain... but your request sound like a customisation of the photoshop/bridge/xmp mask instead of something the AEM can provide.
The other thing, you have an automated process that sorts your files into folders depending of ... how many stars an asset has / Which initial the title uses / which year the file was produced at? You see this is where i loose you. How is sorting files into folders creates metadata for you? 
I am interested to learn more about this if you would like to share more.
I also was interested to create a workflow that adds tags and other metadata based of the filename an asset has.
Currently i used a csv export, excel powerquerry adaption, csv import to enrich files based of filename, creation Date, folder path. 

Level 3

Hi,

Can you explain a bit more about the options for completely new metadata items created in the schema ?

You mention an XMP mask.

The objective is for agencies providing images for ingestion to populate these customer metadata fields in the image so they get set in AEM correctly on upload?

Many thanks

Community Advisor

Hi @GeraintJo ,
I will try to explain
Please forgive me when i explain a bit to much in the wrong direction, just answer on this tread with the reply function and give me a more specific question.
First we have to understand the difference between a custom metadata field and the regular options.
Regular metadata options are stored within the asset.
For example: title, the description, rating, keywords and so on.
To have a look on what is stored in the asset, you can simply open up a file and have a look at the "File info" - in photoshop Data>File Info
This opens up this mask:

AdilosCantuerk_0-1705573376300.png

Each of those map to a metadata property - so
Document Title maps to ./jcr:content/metadata/dc:title
If the AEM-Librarian edits this in AEM - and another person downloads this asset - his File Info will show the changes and vice versa. When the agency uses their Photoshop, their Acrobat, their Illustrator, their Lightroom, their exif-editor - and write something into such a field - this will then be something the AEM pics up and display correctly.
This differs a bit in filetypes (mimetypes) - so a picture and a PDF might have some differences.
For example a PDF file has an additional metadata field for the title. (./jcr:content/metadata/pdf:Title).

So in @james-mke 's usecase - his agency will not receive a AEM account - but they need to deliver proper files, with specific metadata already filled in the asset - they can use a different tool to write this metadata in the files themself before uploading. 

Now we get to AEM specific properties, such as the tags, AND custom metadata properties.
Photoshop does not allow to edit the tag entries and it has no way of showing or saving your custom made properties. So I did not found a "regular" way for agencies to write the tags with the tools they have on hand. If there is one, i am eager to learn about it.
What i did is...
Since the regular metadata properties has a lot of options, you will definitly find a regular field that is not in use and almost certainly will never be in use.
This depends on your company and you know best what will suits you, but just to explain this a bit further, i picked something from the IPTC Extension:
Name of Featured Organisation (which maps to ./jcr:content/metadata/Iptc4xmpExt:OrganisationInImageName)
and
Code of featured Organisation (./jcr:content/metadata/Iptc4xmpExt:OrganisationInImageCode)

AdilosCantuerk_2-1705574753587.png

Now you could ask your developer or figure out how to do the following yourself:
Create a workflow that gets triggered by a import from BrandPortal to write the metadata from here to copy this into your custom metadata property. 
Or what i suggest, quick and dirty - just create a metadata field in your schema - give it the appropriate name e.g. Customer type and let it map to ./jcr:content/metadata/Iptc4xmpExt:OrganisationInImageName.

Tell your agency to write your custom property in there and the aem will instantly display this correctlly in the properties.

This is just an example, and you probably know better which properties will suit the best here for you.
Just make sure you use the right kind of field. A date field will not contain text and so on