Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Can we use vlt rcp to migrate content between two AEM on prem instances using Azure Blob Storage

Level 1

Hi All,

We need to migrate AEM assets between two instances . We are planning to use vlt rcp tool.

The source instance is using Auzre Data Store and target is using different Azure Data store.

Can we use vlt rcp in this case or do we need to take different approach. Any suggestions?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

Hi @MayankMo2 
No, vlt rcp or the built-in AEM sync tool likely won't work flawlessly for migrating assets when the source and target AEM instances use different data stores. vlt rcp and the AEM sync tool primarily focus on replicating AEM content data itself, not data store configurations. Since the data stores differ, the uploaded data might not be readily usable by the target AEM instance.

My Approach would be to develop scripts using AEM APIs (e.g., Sling API) to handle asset migration and data store interaction.
The script can:

• Retrieve assets from the source Azure Data Store using its specific APIs.
  • Transform assets (if needed) for compatibility with the target data store.
  • Upload assets to the target data store using its APIs.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 1

Thanks Narendra,

My doubt is if the source AEM is using Azure data store and target AEM is using different data store, will the vlt or sync tool will work or not for asset migration from source to target? 

Correct answer by
Level 5

Hi @MayankMo2 
No, vlt rcp or the built-in AEM sync tool likely won't work flawlessly for migrating assets when the source and target AEM instances use different data stores. vlt rcp and the AEM sync tool primarily focus on replicating AEM content data itself, not data store configurations. Since the data stores differ, the uploaded data might not be readily usable by the target AEM instance.

My Approach would be to develop scripts using AEM APIs (e.g., Sling API) to handle asset migration and data store interaction.
The script can:

• Retrieve assets from the source Azure Data Store using its specific APIs.
  • Transform assets (if needed) for compatibility with the target data store.
  • Upload assets to the target data store using its APIs.