Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Adding Alt Text to Images

Level 1

Hello,

I'm on AEM 6.5.12. I need to add alt text to images to improve web accessibility. When I open Image properties in the DAM, I see metadata fields such as "title" and "description", but there's no field for "alt text".

2 questions:

1) If I add a title and description in the image metadata, does that function as alt text? 

2) The image component has a field for alt text. Is this the only place to enter alt text? The would mean if I use the same image on multiple pages, I have to enter alt text several times.

Thank you.

Cindy 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@cindychenjmh 

Alt Text added is managed by the image component in use, and not by the image itself. So title field will not add an alt text, and yes, you have to add it at component level on pages.

One workaround, is to add the cq:name property in CRXDE. This should show the alt text for this image everywhere (please try once).

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@cindychenjmh 

Alt Text added is managed by the image component in use, and not by the image itself. So title field will not add an alt text, and yes, you have to add it at component level on pages.

One workaround, is to add the cq:name property in CRXDE. This should show the alt text for this image everywhere (please try once).

Level 1

Is there a way to add alt text to an image that is a part of an experience component? Specifically an Explore by navigation?

Level 1

Looks like 2 new fields have been added to the IPTC tab in AEM as a Cloud Service.  ALT Text and Extended Description.