Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

ASC - Metadata Dependency

Level 3

Hi all,

My organization is considering implementing Asset Share Commons. We want to implement a feature like the Cascading Metadata feature in AEM, where there is dependency between metadata fields and/or their values. I know this isn't an OOTB feature and we're planning on implementing some customization to do this.

Has anyone done this? If so, is it preferred to create dependencies between metadata fields, or field values?

Thank you,

Morgan

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

Hi @MorganMeik 

i recently did a POC on Asset Share Commons for a demo and got to learn about the features about it so what i can say is No, Asset Share Commons doesn't have a built-in feature that directly replicates AEM's Cascading Metadata functionality.

As @EstebanBustamante mentioned Metadata Profiles in AEM, while useful for managing metadata schemas and default values but i doubt that it provide the ability to create dynamic dependencies between fields within Asset Share Commons.

However, you're considering customization to achieve this desired behavior develop a custom solution using JavaScript for dynamic manipulation of available options in dependent fields based on user selections.

Be sure to let us know what approach you have taken!

Thank you!

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi, 

Are you sure MetaData Profiles does not meet your needs  https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/assets/manage/me... ?. Perhaps is easier to customize the Asset Share Commons components than implement the custom "cascading metadata". However, I've seen that custom approach before, where metadata was implemented by copying it down to the assets (or the required location). While this duplicates information, it also makes it easier to find and avoids the need for querying, which is great for avoiding performance issues. Creating dependencies should also work, but I would advise caution in relying on querying data extensively. Instead, create dependencies that can be easily inferred through paths to ensure safety on the performance side.

Hope this helps.

Esteban Bustamante

Correct answer by
Level 5

Hi @MorganMeik 

i recently did a POC on Asset Share Commons for a demo and got to learn about the features about it so what i can say is No, Asset Share Commons doesn't have a built-in feature that directly replicates AEM's Cascading Metadata functionality.

As @EstebanBustamante mentioned Metadata Profiles in AEM, while useful for managing metadata schemas and default values but i doubt that it provide the ability to create dynamic dependencies between fields within Asset Share Commons.

However, you're considering customization to achieve this desired behavior develop a custom solution using JavaScript for dynamic manipulation of available options in dependent fields based on user selections.

Be sure to let us know what approach you have taken!

Thank you!

Administrator

@MorganMeik Did you find the suggestion helpful? Please let us know if you require more information. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you've discovered a solution yourself, we would appreciate it if you could share it with the community. Thank you!

Kautuk Sahni