Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

AEM Assets metadata schema deployment in AEMaaCS

Level 2

We very recently migrated from an Assets Managed Services platform to Assets in Cloud Services.  My understanding is that now with CS, when any metadata fields are created or modified that the change needs to be deployed via Pipeline deployment.  If they are just created or modified in the Metadata Tool and just "applied" (such as in MS), that change could be over-written if a future pipeline deployment is done with other schema changes as the pipeline would have no record of the previous change.  Please correct me if I am mistaken on that.

What about custom folder metadata schemas, the same?  

Thank you,

Jim P

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@JimPresley : This should be irrespective of managed service or as a cloud service.

This would depend upon how you have defined your filter.xml for package which contains your Assets metadata schema.

For eg:

<filter root="/conf/global/settings/dam/adminui-extension" mode="merge" />

If metadata fields are overridden after pipeline deployment or not depends on the value of mode attribute.

Please refer this to see what each mode value would do on deployment : https://jackrabbit.apache.org/filevault/filter.html#filter-elements

thanks.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@JimPresley : This should be irrespective of managed service or as a cloud service.

This would depend upon how you have defined your filter.xml for package which contains your Assets metadata schema.

For eg:

<filter root="/conf/global/settings/dam/adminui-extension" mode="merge" />

If metadata fields are overridden after pipeline deployment or not depends on the value of mode attribute.

Please refer this to see what each mode value would do on deployment : https://jackrabbit.apache.org/filevault/filter.html#filter-elements

thanks.

Community Advisor

@JimPresley hi there!
Such changes are best keept in a pipeline and get distributed by a deployment.
So you are technically correct (the best kind of "correct").
BUT to get this part of the branch into a deployment, your developer has to select this part to be deployment. This does not happen by accident or by itself. @Kamal_Kishor has given already good instructions here.

Custom folder metadata schema do behave exactly the same.
You either choose to distribute them manualy or by pipeline - then the pipeline either refreshes them back to the designed state or it does not.

Hope you are having a great day

Community Advisor

@JimPresley Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community

Esteban Bustamante