Expand my Community achievements bar.

We are excited to introduce our latest innovation to enhance the Adobe Campaign user experience — the Adobe Campaign v8 Web User Interface!
SOLVED

Technical differences between List Types

Level 2

Hi all

Anyone have any good notes on the technical differences in List entity types (List, Group, ..)

I spot issues in various ways, eg Update List processes create lists of type List, but creating a List directly via the List form can only create as type "group".  There are then constraints imposed - eg a Update List process can not update a list of type Group, though there should be no issue with the compatible data structures.

Am in the middle of reverse engineering this but if anyone has any shortcuts, very happy to add to useful google search hits on this subject!

S.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Scott,

Things are really interesting actually.

• List: This type is used to extend the list schema using Extension data. In short, this enables us to have the extra column to ootb table.it can be the recipient or any adobe schema.

• Group: This type is used to store a relationship with only recipients and you can only use recipient columns or already extended column in nms:rcpGrpRel table, No flexibility to add extra columns on runtime.

Rest two type cannot use Register and unRegister method as defined in nms:group.js

regards,

Amit

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

Hey Scott,

Hope you are doing well!

I know there are not enough document to explain that in details but Here are my findings of the list management in Adobe campaign.

There is 4 type of list supported by Adobe campaign.

1. File
  2. Group
  3. List
  4. Template

• Adobe campaign input forms are primarily focused on List type Group, Most of the time we use input forms to create a list of given set recipients.

• If you try to create a list using another Adobe campaign table in a workflow it will create a List of type List. example cus:product will result in a list of Type List with schema type cus:product.

• If you use temp schema as a target in the workflow it will create a list of type File. Example importing External files or enrichment or other temp schema s in adobe campaign.

• List type Template is sometimes used by Campaign job process to import multiple step import export as campaign jobs. rarely used by us.

Maybe you can raise a ticket to get the technical notes from Adobe. I have not seen any online.

Regards,

Amit

Level 2

Hi Amit!  Nice to see you on here!

I observe and validate the same.  Clearly, the groups table is, like other parts of neolane architecture, a resuable container ;-)  the @type field seems to be mostly for filtering the schema for these various use cases.  The question is mainly why type List vs Group, what is the functional intent to create the two types?  I had to do some magic the other day leveraging List objects and due to these differences, major pain in the ass to move between instances (legacy groupid values vs reference to internal names), and reuse lists via Update List processes in different workflows.

But yes I will raise a ticket and post any insight I can get via engineering.

Thanks!

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Scott,

Things are really interesting actually.

• List: This type is used to extend the list schema using Extension data. In short, this enables us to have the extra column to ootb table.it can be the recipient or any adobe schema.

• Group: This type is used to store a relationship with only recipients and you can only use recipient columns or already extended column in nms:rcpGrpRel table, No flexibility to add extra columns on runtime.

Rest two type cannot use Register and unRegister method as defined in nms:group.js

regards,

Amit

Level 10

Hi Scott,

Were you able to get relevant information related to Lists and Groups?

Gaurang