Highlighted

Calling Adobe Campaign just to send emails

vendimb15716755

23-08-2017

HI

we have a scenario where the html for  the email and the users will be provided by some external system and wants to use the campaign only to send the emails( push).

What is the best approach to do that or if you can point me to the right location.

thanks

Replies

Highlighted

florentlb

24-08-2017

Hi,

You can design workflows that would import both the recipients (and store them in the database if needed) and trigger a delivery with the imported content.

You can also directly create a delivery where you would choose "target from a file" when defining the email target. In any type of email delivery you can import content from an HTML or ZIP (with html/css files) files.

What is your version of Adobe Campaign? You should be able to find useful information from the documentation home pages for your version:

Do not hesitate to share more details about your requirements so we can point you to the right direction.

Florent

Highlighted

Amit_Kumar

MVP

24-08-2017

Hi,

Are you planning to use personalization in Adobe campaign?

What will be the frequency, how many email i an hour for peak hours, Are you looking for Real time messaging?

there are so many question which will decide the best approach.

If you are planning to use Real time messaging, you have to use on Message center, with customisation to consume HTML.

If the volume is less, you can use the method suggested by Florent.

If you just want to use Adobe campaign like esp without using personalization, then why not use a simple SMTP server instead.

Regards,

Amit

Highlighted

vendimb15716755

24-08-2017

The reason that it want to use campaign is to get the delivery logs with bounce backs and other items.

The scenario is that the emails ( HTML ) is getting generated on the fly based on a recomendation engine and its a lot and complex logic that is done to generate that html. Also the html is customize to each and every users ( they get different content based on their preferences)

Currently they are using another provider by calling their API to send ( by sending the html and User email )

with that said whats the recommended approach or the best way to handle this ( just by switching the current email provider)?

thanks

Highlighted

Jean-Serge_Biro

MVP

24-08-2017

Hi vendib,

As far as I understand your need, the "cheapest" way to do it (at least if you have the AC classical version without the Message Center module) is to define a workflow or web service in which you call the nms:delivery methods submitNotification and/or submitDelivery.

Documentation for JSAPI is not free, subject to license, so I can't give you it here, please see with Adobe support they provide it in your download center.

It is what I used to do for lot of use cases similar than yours.

submitNotication can call either continuous deliveries or standard/recurrent deliveries, depending on your frequency / realtime or batch load/send cases.

As Florent mentioned for regular workflows activities standard objects, with the target people to import, JS activity can do more complex things such as replacing the body and title messages dynamically. You can define the html body and raw text body either with XML or JSON syntax. (well, JXON).

But if you have chance to have more modules, not cheapest way to do it, as Amit recommended you, I strongly suggest to have a look on:

• Message Center module
  • Interaction module (recommendation engine)
  • Adobe Target integration with Adobe Campaign

Regards
J-Serge

Highlighted

vendimb15716755

24-08-2017

HI Amit

will not need the personalization. Will me about 12 millions emails weekly ( as this is some recommendation that goes out). as far as using the SMTP not sure what you mean by that . SMTP with another client other than campaign or using the AC as smtp? if thats an option I want to explore that if you can point me to a correct direction. all we need to track for this emails is the outbounds /bounce back and open rates.

Highlighted

vendimb15716755

24-08-2017

Thanks Jean-Serge  for the different option that you listed on your reply.

So for all the XML/JSON option and JS activities the JSAPI would be right documentation correct? I guess I can put a ticket with Adobe Support if none of you guys in this thread can share that. We are using Campaign 6.1 the cloud version.

We do have the Message Center with our license so if that is an option I want to explore. Just keep in mind that in my scenario everything ( including the email address) will be get push by this external system that does the recomendation on the fly and build separate html for each user.

thanks In advance

Highlighted

Jean-Serge_Biro

MVP

24-08-2017

Yes please download the JSAPI documentation from your download center section on Adobe Campaign extranet site; it is very useful and even mandatory for technical sophisticated stuffs.

And read the 2 methods submitNotification and submitDelivery, I am sure it will be clearer for you.

MessageCenter uses also submitNotification as well in its technical workflows, but it comes with many tools to monitor large volume of transactional messages (realtime applicative emails and batch also). So this option should be considered for your 12 M per week, most of all if these are realtime emails.

In case of batches emails or low volume, you can consider doing a small and simple JS code on your marketing instance;  a few lines of Javascript is enough to manage your case.

But please note that it is your marketing instance MTA that will be leveraged for delivering the messages. And if you need better performance and realtime, it is better to have a dedicated instance MTA (message center) so your realtime messages are not impacted by your marketing campaigns deliveries (MTA/SMTP bandwidth) or preparation (the applicative server).

In both cases, the MTA relies on SMTP processes, it is mainly a question of volume to consider separate instances or not.

Regards
J-Serge

Highlighted

Amit_Kumar

MVP

24-08-2017

Hi,

What I was suggesting, is using another service for this purpose. Adobe campaign counts broadlog as a communication sent so if you are using 12 million per week, it will be expensive if you are paying per broadlog entry to Adobe. I would rather use Amazon Simple Email Service (SES) - Cloud Email Sending Service if I don't need personalization capabilities in Adobe campaign.

SES provides better deliverability than Adobe campaign email deliverability.

If you want to use Adobe campaign than you have to configure Message center to process batch events in real time.

As J-Serge, suggested, Go with a dedicated instance MTA (message center) for these communications otherwise, it will impact your server performance.

I would recommend don't use js on your current marketing instance before consulting with Adobe, Probably they need to increase the js memory limit for your instance.

Regards,

Amit.

Highlighted

vendimb15716755

25-08-2017

Thanks Jean-Serge

I did Download that JSAPI Doc. I am assuming its that .chm file right? I will go through that and keep that as my reference document.

So to get to a conclusion the Message center would do the job in my scenario? so this outside Engine ( recomendation Engine) should be able to call the Message Center and push the messages or from Message center I would need to pull the messages from the engine?