Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!

How SMS Architecture works?

Level 2

Hi All,

I would like to know that how exactly SMS Architecture works in Adobe Campaign.

1. Is there any clear explanation of SMS Architecture?

a. What all data goes to Frontal Servers?

b. As per my understanding, SMS works with a third party SMS connector like SMPP and Netsize and they connect with SMS service provider to send the SMS.

c. Is Frontal Server really necessary to send the SMS communication out, what are the drawbacks of not using frontal servers?

2. What is the difference between different types of SMS connectors like SMPP, Netsize and all?

3. Is there a same case with Line channel, I have same questions for Line channel as well.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Regards

Mahesh

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

1. Is there any clear explanation of SMS Architecture?

a. What all data goes to Frontal Servers?

Are Frontal Servers the application servers? There's an MTA process that forks out child processes to pull data from the Campaign DB and use it to send SMS messages.

b. As per my understanding, SMS works with a third party SMS connector like SMPP and Netsize and they connect with SMS service provider to send the SMS.

SMPP is a protocol which the SMS channel uses to send messages to vendors such as Netsize.

c. Is Frontal Server really necessary to send the SMS communication out, what are the drawbacks of not using frontal servers?

If Frontal Server is application server, yes they're needed to run Adobe Campaign. Messages can also be sent via mid-sourcing, where the MTA's are in another instance.

2. What is the difference between different types of SMS connectors like SMPP, Netsize and all?

Different vendors, with different authentication and configurations. Some, like Mobivity will have a REST API requiring the channel be configured with custom js to send.

3. Is there a same case with Line channel, I have same questions for Line channel as well.

LINE is another channel, all sent by the MTA module with different protocols, API's, and payloads.

Thanks,

-Jon

Highly appreciate your response Jon.
Actually Frontal Servers are the Tracking Servers which stay in DMZ zone and not the Application Servers.

Community Advisor

Tracking you can do with SMS, though will be a double-redirect, one for link shortener and one for click recording. The service operates independently from MTA, though has its url's created as part of the sending process- uses message id.

Thanks for the reply Jon.
A few things which are unclear to me, i need your help to understand it better.

As per my understanding, MTA is responsible to send the SMS out to real world with the help of a third party connector like Netsize.
If MTA is installed in DMZ zone servers then then sms will be sent by these servers

If MTA is installed on application servers which stay behind the client's firewall , Application Server is responsible for sending the SMS.

Any detailed explanation or any kind of help is highly appreciated

Regards
Mahesh

Community Advisor

MTA's can exist anywhere, and are unimpacted by their location as long as they have connectivity to internal db and to your SMS vendor. From your other post it looks like your architecture is the source of a lot of understandable confusion. I would suggest circling back with your IT dept for delivery issues.