Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!
SOLVED

Workflow Activity Execution Order

Level 2

If I have 5 query activities each pushing to their own Update List activities, in what order do those process?

• Most recently added first?
  • Most recently updated first?
  • Other?

Can we manipulate the order in which Workflow Activities execute?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi @Zamwize 

Sadly I don’t think you can force a specific order to execute things. If for instance you have a Fork activity with x branches with one query in each branches, the query activities are executed sequentially and once the query in a branch is executed, the next activity will be executed while the 2nd query in your Fork branch will be executed. The only way I can think to force the sequence in a specific order is maybe by introducing an AND activity after the 1st query who will join with the transition of query one and branch 2 then do a fork of 2 branches: one to update while the 2nd one will be the 2nd query. And you repeat the process until all your queries are executed. It makes the workflow very complex and cumbersome to maintain. 

Question on my side: why is the order important? Do you have an update from one query that depends from the result of another query ? Trying to understand importance of the order. 
thans

Denis. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi @Zamwize 

Sadly I don’t think you can force a specific order to execute things. If for instance you have a Fork activity with x branches with one query in each branches, the query activities are executed sequentially and once the query in a branch is executed, the next activity will be executed while the 2nd query in your Fork branch will be executed. The only way I can think to force the sequence in a specific order is maybe by introducing an AND activity after the 1st query who will join with the transition of query one and branch 2 then do a fork of 2 branches: one to update while the 2nd one will be the 2nd query. And you repeat the process until all your queries are executed. It makes the workflow very complex and cumbersome to maintain. 

Question on my side: why is the order important? Do you have an update from one query that depends from the result of another query ? Trying to understand importance of the order. 
thans

Denis. 

Level 2

Thank you @Denis_Bozonnet!

The And function seems to working as you guessed.

The order is important due to the scheduling of workflow executions leveraging lists as exclusions. We use lists for our more complex exclusion blocks that take far to long to run as a PDF when it's run 30 times a day.

Community Advisor

Hello @Zamwize,

You can 'trick' Adobe by adding empty Js activities like this to manipulate the order: 

Amine_Abedour_0-1653386851064.png

result: 

Amine_Abedour_1-1653386915273.png

Br,

Level 2

Thank you, @Amine_Abedour!

This also seems to work, although the number of JS activities on the page could get cumbersome.

Administrator

Hi @Zamwize,

Were you able to resolve this query with the help of the given solutions or do you still need more help here? Do let us know. In case the given solutions were helpful, then kindly choose the one that helped you the most as the 'Correct Reply'.
Thanks!

Sukrity Wadhwa