Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!
SOLVED

Tracking Breaking When Using Search Bar In Email

Level 2

Hello.

We are looking to start using search bars in the headers of our emails so a customer can type in their local town and on click, it takes them through to the website of the closest site to them, see below.

lcharlwood_0-1600358277883.png

However, we're having an issue with the tracking breaking - if tracking is disabled for this link it works perfectly but if tracking is kept on the link it does not work and a 'requested URL cannot be found' error message is displayed.

The below script is used in the HTML for the search bar to pull in what the customer inputs but it appears the GA tracking doesn't like it when applied and breaks. To note, the 'abcd' in the below is just for illustrative purposes.

<form action="https://www.abcd.co.uk/abcd/" method="get" name="search_form" id="search_form">

Any ideas on how I can get this functionality to work but with the tracking enabled?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hello @lcharlwood 

If the tracking is enabled for the form action URL then it won't work because the action URL will be replaced with the adobe tracking URL and that tracking URL does not support form submission with extra parameters and even if you manage to support the extra search parameter then the tracking URL will not forward your search query to https://www.abcd.co.uk/abcd/

You will have to disable the tracking for this URL to make this work.

Thanks

Manoj
     Find me on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

This works fine for me. Are you applying GA with click formula?

Thanks,

-Jon

Level 2

Hello @Jonathon_wodnicki 

I believe we are applying GA with a click formula, see below.

<%@ include option='mabTracking_ClickFormula' %><%
var channel = '';
switch(Number(message.delivery.messageType)){
case 0: channel='email'; break;
case 1: channel='sms'; break;
case 41: channel='app'; break;
case 42: channel='app'; break;
default: channel='other';}
%>&utm_source=hermes&utm_medium=<%= channel %>&utm_content=<%= encodeURIComponent(message.segmentName) %>&utm_campaign=<%= encodeURIComponent(message.delivery.operation.label) %>

When clicking on the magnifying glass in the search bar I'm getting the below error ('london' being what I input in the search bar field).

Requested URL '/r/?id=h400a64f8%2C33273dfb%2C2a8715b4&amp;search=london&amp;searchbtn.x=23&amp;searchbtn.y=19' cannot be found

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Community Advisor
That all looks correct, though isn't being applied to the url as shown in the error. Maybe something weird with the form html. Does mabTracking_ClickFormula option exist?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hello @lcharlwood 

If the tracking is enabled for the form action URL then it won't work because the action URL will be replaced with the adobe tracking URL and that tracking URL does not support form submission with extra parameters and even if you manage to support the extra search parameter then the tracking URL will not forward your search query to https://www.abcd.co.uk/abcd/

You will have to disable the tracking for this URL to make this work.

Thanks

Manoj
     Find me on LinkedIn

Administrator

Hi @lcharlwood,

Were you able to resolve this query with any of the given solutions? Let us know if you need more help.

Thanks!

Sukrity Wadhwa