Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!
SOLVED

Import the data

Level 1

I have an external database connected and i want to import some data into it. I have the data in local excel file. Is there any workflow reference or docs how to do this. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Ramusmartguy,
assuming that you can query external database via FDA connector.

If this is the case, you should create data schema of external table  in AC and then in workflow read data from excel and write to the newly created schema/table. Data will be reflected on external database.

There is an example of that schema:

milanv69354962_0-1579596809006.png

First blue line is hiding internal name of your FDA connector.

Second blue line is hiding database_schema.table_name in external database.

Regards,

Milan

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Ramusmartguy,
assuming that you can query external database via FDA connector.

If this is the case, you should create data schema of external table  in AC and then in workflow read data from excel and write to the newly created schema/table. Data will be reflected on external database.

There is an example of that schema:

milanv69354962_0-1579596809006.png

First blue line is hiding internal name of your FDA connector.

Second blue line is hiding database_schema.table_name in external database.

Regards,

Milan

Level 1

Hi Milan,

I have the external database connected and schema already exist. I just wanted to import or update the data. I need the steps for that. I am afraid that if i upload anything that will mess with the other data which already exists in the table so just wanted to be careful. 

Community Advisor

Hi @Ramusmartguy ,

that is not complicated, all you need is the good reconciliation key.

milanv69354962_0-1580291632666.png

So, in first step read data from Excel and in last set configuration like this:

milanv69354962_1-1580292355729.png

It is important to pick good reconciliation key (or more) .

Regards,
Milan

Level 1
Great thanks Milan, My next question is lets assume i have loaded all the data ( employeeId, Name, Jobdesc, address etc., ) through insert or update and if next time if i load the data with same process and same workflow ( i have a reconciliation key i.e., primary key as employee id ) so next time if i load next file and the file have the same employeeid which i loaded earlier but the address is changed now. So this workflow will do just update the address OR it will create a new duplicate row with same employeeID and different address. Sorry if i am bothering you with my questions

Community Advisor

Hi @Ramusmartguy 

yes,  it will just update the address on the existing record in that case.

Regards,

Milan

Level 1

Great thanks Milan for the quick reply. One more question regarding the Data extraction component - my main task is to take the data from the query activity and to upload into some amazon path. In this i can directly use data upload activity right rather than data extraction activity. As data extraction activity will first store the data into local server and then send the data to file upload activity. 

Community Advisor
Hi @Ramussmartguy, not sure what is your question here. Anyway, in both cases is up to you. Do what is easier for you. Regards, Milan