Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!
SOLVED

Feature to verify recipient level changes

Community Advisor
My client would like to know how other ACC clients verify user's profile changes when is not intended.

Context:
  1. Recipient A forwards email to B, email contains  pref centre link in which user B decides to overwrite A details.
  2. Client does not*** want to hide the link if forwarded ( if ( document.mode != 'mirror' && document.mode != 'forward' ) { display preference page link else hide it} )
  3. At the point of changing details, even if done by the original recipient A, an verification email sent to email address with a grace confirmation period of 72 hours, if verified "Yes it was me" details get overwritten" if verified "Not it wasn't me" new recipient user created for B
While I have an idea on how to achieve this request by capturing new details in a custom temp schema which waits for email confirmation, our client has asked to reach out to the community to know how other clients are tackling this request. I've personally seen this feature on some websites and platforms but not in ACC.
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

@david--garciaWe have talked about this solution as well and I wanted to raise something that made us look a bit closer at the preferences use case.

In a lot of jurisdictions, when someone follows an unsubscribe link and unsubscribes (either automatically or by entering an email or clicking "Unsubscribe") you have to enact that change immediately and not provide some additional steps in order to unsubscribe (e.g. login, confirmation email, etc.)

If you require validation before making the change, you run the risk of the email not being received and the person not confirming it and you would fall afoul of the regulations in that country. It's worth checking the regulations in your client's area.

What I would do, is the reverse. Make the change in the database immediately, and send an email confirming like Google does - "If this was not you, then click this link to undo change" - that way you fulfil the regulatory obligations, but also give the user a chance to reverse the change if it was not done by the original recipient (or was done by accident)

Just my 2c

Cheers

Darren

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 9

@david--garciaWe have talked about this solution as well and I wanted to raise something that made us look a bit closer at the preferences use case.

In a lot of jurisdictions, when someone follows an unsubscribe link and unsubscribes (either automatically or by entering an email or clicking "Unsubscribe") you have to enact that change immediately and not provide some additional steps in order to unsubscribe (e.g. login, confirmation email, etc.)

If you require validation before making the change, you run the risk of the email not being received and the person not confirming it and you would fall afoul of the regulations in that country. It's worth checking the regulations in your client's area.

What I would do, is the reverse. Make the change in the database immediately, and send an email confirming like Google does - "If this was not you, then click this link to undo change" - that way you fulfil the regulatory obligations, but also give the user a chance to reverse the change if it was not done by the original recipient (or was done by accident)

Just my 2c

Cheers

Darren

Community Advisor

Nice point to consider @Darren_Bowers I will bring this up to my client, did you develop the solution at the end? have you thought about the processes to revert changes? custom schema? maybe a webapp sends command to workflow to fetch the user's before changes from temp schema and revert? I am looking for ideas.

Level 9

@david--garciaWe never implemented a solution in Campaign so I cant help you there sorry. I was designing a more enterprise-wide source-system agnostic design where the profile data is made available centrally to a number of different campaign management applications. This was just one of the use cases we put forward for consideration.

Cheers

Darren