Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!
SOLVED

Execute typology rules in the workflow without generating a delivery log

Level 3

Hi Team, 

I was wondering is there a way of calling and executing the typology rules within the workflow itself prior to a delivery to see more accurate targeting in the workflow.

I have tried the split approach whereby I put each of the conditions within a split from the typology and push the volume down towards a more accurate number however we have now got an influx of rules 40 + I am sure there must be a way of doing this (even using javascript) I think this would be a great enhancement to adobe campaign as well.

Any ideas or support would be much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi @NayanMistry,

You could try to define a set of pre-defined filters that you would use in the workflows (split activities) and in typology rules, this will ensure the rules are consistent and will require only a single place of maintenance, the pre-defined filters.

Some customers have very complex rules are building addressable audiences where these rules would apply and then they use these audiences at the beginning of their campaign workflows. It's also a possibility.

Personally I would try via pre-defined filters more than audiences, both would help being operationally more efficient.

Hope this helps,

Thanks

Denis

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi @NayanMistry,

You could try to define a set of pre-defined filters that you would use in the workflows (split activities) and in typology rules, this will ensure the rules are consistent and will require only a single place of maintenance, the pre-defined filters.

Some customers have very complex rules are building addressable audiences where these rules would apply and then they use these audiences at the beginning of their campaign workflows. It's also a possibility.

Personally I would try via pre-defined filters more than audiences, both would help being operationally more efficient.

Hope this helps,

Thanks

Denis

Level 3

Hi @Denis_Bozonnet ,

Thank you for the helpful advice I will give it a try even from a maintenance perspective I think your solution makes sense. 

I had another idea when looking into this (please feel free to stop me if I am thinking down the wrong path) Our typology rules are currently being built as queries within the typology filters section which are stored as typology rules. Could these filters be pulled out and used as pre-defined filters from the typology rules without having to recreate them?

In ideal world I would like to have the typology filter stored similarly to a pre-defined filter which can be invoked based on an internal name or label and can be displayed under the "user filters" area. (A wish I guess haha)

I think also for typology management adobe should consider a typology node which allows the user to execute typology rules within a workflow without creating a delivery it would make sense in regards to looking at typology stats without having to go through the delivery. ( a personal opinion I guess, each case is unique but with most clients I have worked for its something which they love to see)

Appreciate all the support and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Nayan

Employee Advisor

Hi @NayanMistry 

Sorry for the delay, one of the best way to increase operational efficiency is to build re-usable elements and pre-defined filters are one of them, you can use pre-defined filters in typology rules. Saying that, typology rules works on a slightly different way in a sense that a criteria in a typology rule needs to produce the list of recipients to exclude while in a workflow you would need pre-defined filters to get a list of recipients to include. 

So you could do things in 2 ways:

1. 2 set of pre-defined filters: one that provides the list to exclude (used in Typology Rules) and one that provides the list to include (used in workflow), the rules of these 2 pre-dfeind filters are opposite. 
  2. Create a single pre-defined filter that provides the list to exclude (used in Typology Rules) and in a workflow you would use the Exclusion activity joining the main target with the list of recipients to exclude

In the past, I went option 1 to keep workflow structure simpler than solution 2. Option 1 is a slight overheard for maintenance but it's not complicated to maintain.

But yes you should use pre-defined filters in typology rules too.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Denis