Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!
SOLVED

Creating a Count w/GroupBy within an instance.vars.xxx

Level 3

All, 

Still learning how to code in JS, so please let me know if this is even possible. I have a worklfow where I pull in data from a list and send that data through a Query to create a count; the count is based on Source Code. I can display the data and see the count; it will look like this: 

montezh2001_0-1661789116289.png

But, what I really want to do is have this count display in an Alert activity. I'm trying to come up with ideas on how to display this - but I'm stuck. My thought is to create a JS code to pull the fields in using "queryDef", and then create an instance.vars.xxx where I would get a Sum of each Source Code by group.

Please let me know if I'm off base.  

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

@ALangridge 

Thank you for looking into this. However, I'm able to create a total number of records rather easy. I actually created the total by using the qty from the transition into the Alert:  instance.vars.totalCount = vars.recCount; this gives me the count I want to display on the email Alert. 

Thank you again. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Hello @montezh2001,

You have to query target data using execSql. Then use it in your alert html

var res = sqlSelect(
            "targetData,@ssourceCode:string,@icountSourceCode:number",//not sure how the integer is set maybe :long or :integer:11 you need to try also you can display entire res with JSON.stringify to see the results
            "select ssourceCode, icountSourceCode from " + vars.tableName
          );
for (var i = 0; i<res.targetData.length;i++){
logInfo(res.targetData.@ssourceCode);
logInfo(res.targetData.@icountSourceCode);
}

Marcel

Level 3

@Marcel_Szimonisz  

Thank you for the code and direction. I can see it's pulling the data I need, however I'm still a little confused at the direction you provided. 

Are you saying that once I create this variable (var res), I then need to run EXEC Sql on the variable in the HTML?

Again - I'm just trying to get the values in the snapshot about to display in the Alert. Your code displays as: 

montezh2001_0-1661894601816.png

Level 2

Hey! I'd achieve this by doing something like this in a JS activity.

var sql = "SELECT sum(" + vars.tableName + ".icolumnName) FROM " + vars.tableName;
instance.vars.totalCount = sqlGetInt(sql);

vars.tableName is set by the workflow and will contain the name of the temporary table you're creating. You'd need to locate the alias name of your Count Source Code field, and then prefix it with i for integer (or d for double, s for string) and use it in place of icolumnName (so icountSourceCode - make sure you keep the full stop in there too so it'll be querying for tableName.icolumnName ).

sqlGetInt just executes the sql statement stored in the above variable, and will return an integer. 

Once this runs, you'd be able to access the variable in your alert email using <%= instance.vars.totalCount %>

Correct answer by
Level 3

@ALangridge 

Thank you for looking into this. However, I'm able to create a total number of records rather easy. I actually created the total by using the qty from the transition into the Alert:  instance.vars.totalCount = vars.recCount; this gives me the count I want to display on the email Alert. 

Thank you again. 

Level 2

Ah gotcha! Didn't realize you had a single target to pull from - definitely the easier option there. 

I'd definitely keep the method I described in your pocket though - it works PERFECTLY for individual column values (eg: I enriched each record with the $ spent in the last week and now want a single sum value to put in an email).

Glad it worked out for you!