Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!
SOLVED

Converting and altering value in personalisation block

Level 1

Hi,

First post, new to the platform so hoping so clever people can point me in the right direction! I'm trying to set up a personalisation block so I can convert a variable - but I'm struggling!

I have an XML string, I'm trying to extract a cost value (e.g. £1,509.10) from the string convert into a number (1,509.10), so I can subtract 10 from it). Any idea how to do this.

I've got as far as defining a variable for the XML string in the email - and I can pull out the variable and get rid of the £ sign with something like;

<%= escapeXmlStr(ctx.messageMetadata.MainCost.CostAmount).substr(1,10)%>

I'm stuck beyond this - any help appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi @Tarquinius your post was a bit ambiguous. Did you want to remove the decimal part of the value (£1,509) or subtract 10 from the value (£1,499.10)? By the looks of your sample code you posted, its the first one. Anyway, here are both answers:

I am assuming your XML data looks something like this

<ctx>
  <messageMetadata>
    <MainCost>
      <CostAmount>£1,509.10</CostAmount>
    </MainCost>
  </messageMetadata>
</ctx>

(a) - uses String.split() to get everything in front of the decimal point.(output £1,509)

<%= escapeXmlStr(ctx.messageMetadata.MainCost.CostAmount.toString()).split(".")[0] %>

(b) - removes all non-numeric characters from the string, converts it to a float, subtracts 10, then sets the decimal places to two, converts back to a string and replaces the thousands separator back in (output £1,499.10)

<%= '£'+(parseFloat(escapeXmlStr(ctx.messageMetadata.MainCost.CostAmount.toString()).replace(/[^0-9.]/g, ''))-10).toFixed(2).toString().replace(/(\d)(?=(\d{3})+(?!\d))/g, '$1,') %>

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi @Tarquinius your post was a bit ambiguous. Did you want to remove the decimal part of the value (£1,509) or subtract 10 from the value (£1,499.10)? By the looks of your sample code you posted, its the first one. Anyway, here are both answers:

I am assuming your XML data looks something like this

<ctx>
  <messageMetadata>
    <MainCost>
      <CostAmount>£1,509.10</CostAmount>
    </MainCost>
  </messageMetadata>
</ctx>

(a) - uses String.split() to get everything in front of the decimal point.(output £1,509)

<%= escapeXmlStr(ctx.messageMetadata.MainCost.CostAmount.toString()).split(".")[0] %>

(b) - removes all non-numeric characters from the string, converts it to a float, subtracts 10, then sets the decimal places to two, converts back to a string and replaces the thousands separator back in (output £1,499.10)

<%= '£'+(parseFloat(escapeXmlStr(ctx.messageMetadata.MainCost.CostAmount.toString()).replace(/[^0-9.]/g, ''))-10).toFixed(2).toString().replace(/(\d)(?=(\d{3})+(?!\d))/g, '$1,') %>

Level 1
Absolute legend - thanks if I wasn't direct enough I was struggling to explain what I wanted - it was the second part of your solution - subtracting £10 from the string value - which you have expertly resolved! Thank you! The code is really useful too, as now I can work out what it's doing so I can understand it for future! Thanks again.

Level 9
You're welcome! There are better ways to do some of this like save out the currency value in a variable, etc but this should get you started