Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adobe Campaign Application Server 7.0 is in 'STOP' state

Level 4

Hello Everyone,

Any insights on the below would be helpful -

Adobe Campaign Application Server 7.0 is in 'STOP' state in our Lower environment. Even after restarting the services, it's changing to 'STOP' after couple of seconds.

On the other hand, we also could not perform 'net stop nlserver6' which returns the message 'Adobe Campaign Application Server 7.0 service could not be stopped'

Any thoughts on how to solve this would be helpful.

BR, Hari Krishna D

9 Replies

Community Advisor

Hello, @harikrishnadevanabowina  What error do you see in the console when you try to stop/start the server?

Manoj
     Find me on LinkedIn

Hi @_Manoj_Kumar_ I am trying these in Server.

And when I start, it won't show any error, it shows the services are started but will stop in couple of seconds.

But when I stop in CMD, using the command -'net stop nlserver6' it returns the message 'Adobe Campaign Application Server 7.0 service could not be stopped'

Community Advisor

Hello @harikrishnadevanabowina  We need more than a simple error message to identify the root cause.

try running this command nlserver watchdog with root user. This will show you some logs when the server is started.

Also, try nlserver shutdown to stop the server

Additional logs can be found in watchdog.log file

Manoj
     Find me on LinkedIn

Can you detail the next steps also :
After this command: nlserver shutdown

Level 5

Hi @harikrishnadevanabowina ,

When encountering issues with the Adobe Campaign Application Server (nlserver6) stopping unexpectedly in Adobe Campaign Classic v7.0, and the inability to stop the service manually, consider the following steps to diagnose and resolve the issue:

• Check Logs for Errors: Review the application server logs located in the nl6/logs/ directory. Look for any specific error messages or warnings that might indicate why the service is failing. Pay particular attention to web.log, watchdog.log, server.log, and error.log.
  • Analyze System Resources: Ensure that the server has sufficient memory, CPU, and disk space available. Resource exhaustion can cause the service to stop unexpectedly. You can check this using tools like Task Manager (Windows) or top/htop (Linux).
  • Inspect Running Processes: Check for any orphaned or hung nlserver6 processes using Task Manager or the ps command on Linux. If such processes exist, manually kill them and then attempt to restart the service.
  • Service Dependencies: Verify that all required dependencies (e.g., database services, network connections) are up and running. Sometimes, a dependent service failing to start properly can cause nlserver6 to stop.
  • Windows Event Viewer: For Windows servers, check the Event Viewer under “Windows Logs” > “Application” and “System” for any errors or warnings that could provide clues about why the service is stopping.
  • Port Conflicts: Ensure that the ports required by the Adobe Campaign Application Server are not being used by another process. Use netstat -an | findstr <port_number> to check port usage.
  • Service Permissions: Confirm that the service account running nlserver6 has the necessary permissions to execute and manage the service. A permission issue could prevent the service from stopping or starting properly.
  • Configuration File Issues: Double-check the server's configuration files (e.g., serverConf.xml) for any incorrect or corrupted entries that might cause the service to fail.

Best regards,

MEIT MEDIA (https://www.meitmedia.com)

Find us on LinkedIn

Contact Us: infomeitmedia@gmail.com

MeitMedia_0-1724927385014.png

We are Onpremise and the issue we are facing is on the mid sourcing server.

I could see that there is a 'config' backup file with the similar name + Backup which is causing the issue.

Ex: Original config file - config-xxxx.xml 

Backup file -  config-xxxx - Backup.xml

Seems nlserver is trying to identify the database server 'config-xxxx - Backup.xml which doesn't exist.

I am unable to update/repair Adobe campaign instance as it says 'nlserver' is running, but I could not resolve on how to 'Stop'. Even though Adobe Campaign Application Server 7.0 service shows it's in  'Stop' mode, it's actually not.

Any inputs on how to kill the services so that I can perform a repair/update.

Thanks & Regards,
Hari Krishna D 

Hi @harikrishnadevanabowina ,

Before proceeding, could you confirm if you have full access and control over the mid-sourcing server, or is it hosted on Adobe's side? This will help determine the best approach to resolving the issue.

>>>If you have access:

• Run nlserver shutdown in Command Prompt (Windows) or Terminal (Linux) with admin/root privileges to stop the nlserver process.
  • Ensure the process has stopped using Task Manager (Windows) or ps -ef | grep nlserver (Linux).
  • Rename or relocate the backup file (config-xxxx - Backup.xml) to prevent it from being referenced.
  • Proceed with the repair or update of Adobe Campaign.
  • Restart the services after the update.

>>>If it's hosted by Adobe, you might need to coordinate with their support team to address the server-level changes.

Best regards,

MEIT MEDIA (https://www.meitmedia.com)

Find us on LinkedIn

Contact Us: infomeitmedia@gmail.com

MeitMedia_0-1724929962214.png

Level 4

I am able to fix this with different methods of trying.

But the main issue is that the nlserver is still executíng in the background processes which need to be killed.