Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!
SOLVED

A way to insert/ update enumeration, enumeration values and enumeration alias using a workflow.

Level 3

Hello everyone,

We are trying to dynamically add bins to a cube using enumerations (Reference : https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/campaign-classic/using/reporting/designing-reports-with-cubes.... What we want to do is when ever there is a new value in a particular column that is used for binning, a bin should be created automatically in the cube. This can be done by using enumerations (refer the about link). But then again we will have to insert the value manually in the enumeration. So is there any way to insert/ update enumeration, enumeration values and enumeration alias using a workflow? I have tried to do it using update activity(on xtk enumeration values schema) and it indicates that the values have been updated/ added once the workflow is finished. But when I check in the enumeration, no changes can be seen. Any suggestion would be helpful.

Regards,

Jayesh

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Jayesh,

possible solution for you can be the following:

• Instead of using enums, you may create a new table with desired values and link it to the target table using FK link. The new table  may be updated via workflow you mentioned.

If you want to use enum, I think you have to update schema and publish the changes.

Regards,

Milan

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Jayesh,

possible solution for you can be the following:

• Instead of using enums, you may create a new table with desired values and link it to the target table using FK link. The new table  may be updated via workflow you mentioned.

If you want to use enum, I think you have to update schema and publish the changes.

Regards,

Milan

Level 3

Hi Milan,

Thanks for the reply. The thing is, for a cube to dynamically create bins, we have to use enumerations. I have mentioned the link for the documentation for the same. Thus enumerations are to be used for this. Can you explain how to update enumerations, in detail? I want to insert values in the enumeration from a column in a scheme where the values to be used for binning are present. 

Regards,

Jayesh

Community Advisor

Hi Jayesh,

in order to add new enum value enumeration type must be set to Open. Could you, please, check what is type of used enumeration?
Anyway, you have as well option Reserved for binning which allows you ti dynamically link cube to specified enumeration which must be chosen.
Navigate to the /Administration/Platform/Enumerations/ and check this settings.

Regards, Milan

Level 3

Hi Milan,

Apologies for the delay in response. Yes, the enumeration type is set to open. I understand that we will have to add the enumeration values manually and these values will reflect in the cube. But in our case, we won't be aware when any new value is added to the column that is used for binning. Thus unless we add the new value manually to enumeration, it won't reflect in the cube. We want to add the new values to enumeration whenever they are inserted into the schema. We tried using workflow and update the values in enumeration schema, but that did not work. Is there any possible solution to do this? Kindly let me know if you want me to explain this use-case in more detail.

Regards,

Jayesh

Community Advisor

Hi Jayes,

Is it possible to create one workflow with incremental query on the enum table and schedule it periodically?
Then you can add one test  node (count records) and when true (>0) you may perform some action or notify yourself which means new record is added.
Maybe I have lost a thread here  

Adding enum should reflect on the cube:

milanv69354962_0-1579101842138.png

Level 3

Hi Milan,

Again apologies for such delayed response. I tried what you had suggested and got the desired result. Thanks for pointing us in the correct direction.

Just for future reference in case someone else whats to implement the same thing, here is what we did:

So the Enumeration is divided into 3 schemas Enumeration, Value of enumeration and Alias of an enumeration value. Alias of an enumeration value has foreign keys for the other two schemas, while the Value of enumeration has the foreign key of Enumeration schema. So to insert a value in an enumeration we had to update the values as well as the foreign key in the respective schemas so that these values are linked with their corresponding values in other schemas.

To simply state, we updated the Primary key of the Enumeration schema against the foreign key in the Value of enumeration schema. Next, we updated the Primary key of the Enumeration schema and Primary key of Value of enumeration schema against the respective foreign keys in Alias of an enumeration value schema. 

Kindly ask if you find this explanation confusing.

Regards,

Jayesh

Level 3

Hello everyone,

Just for future reference in case someone else whats to implement the same thing, here is what we did:

So the Enumeration is divided into 3 schemas Enumeration, Value of enumeration and Alias of an enumeration value. Alias of an enumeration value has foreign keys for the other two schemas, while the Value of enumeration has the foreign key of Enumeration schema. So to insert a value in an enumeration we had to update the values as well as the foreign key in the respective schemas so that these values are linked with their corresponding values in other schemas.

To simply state, we updated the Primary key of the Enumeration schema against the foreign key in the Value of enumeration schema. Next, we updated the Primary key of the Enumeration schema and Primary key of Value of enumeration schema against the respective foreign keys in Alias of an enumeration value schema. 

Kindly ask if you find this explanation confusing.

Thanks Milan, for pointing us in the right direction.

Regards,

Jayesh