Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!

YouTube Video Data Element not Set

Level 2

Hi,

I am setting up video tracking via Adobe Analytics for the first time. I made use of the Adobe YouTube Extension from here for this: https://d1a2d0h96mvhgv.cloudfront.net/3/104659/c15db1ba-8b77-499f-836d-ba9455f0bff2.pdf

While the dev team has ensured the video on the website has the YouTube iframe along with the enablejsapi parameter active, the extension is not working as expected. 

I initially followed the guidelines from the document above to set this up, but the rule was not firing. Then I changed the event from firing upon the YouTube event to a click event, and the rule now fires but without setting the data elements for the Youtube Video. I get the following (see screenshot below) when I tried to debug the data elements. Please note that I already set the data elements duration to None, but the elements are still not set upon a click on the YouTube video.

mokons_0-1663155856045.png

How can I ensure the data element is set?

Thank you. 

5 Replies

Community Advisor

YouTube videos are challenging.... here are a few other threads where users were getting help:

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-analytics-questions/youtube-video-tracking-wh...

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-analytics-questions/youtube-video-tracking-th...

Me personally, I was never able to get any of the plugins to work consistently and created a "Frankenstein" solution using GTM and Adobe Launch (but this does require having both tag managers in place on your site which you may not be interested in).

My solution is posted in the second of the two threads.... Though I know the author of the "YouTube Playback" extension is a Community Advisor, and maybe he can help you get it working... but I would definitely check out first if the other user was successful....

Community Advisor

My understanding of the Adobe extension is that it assumes that your videos are loaded when the page gets loaded. So if your videos are loaded dynamically, e.g. by a user action on the page, then I don't think extension can track those.

I built the "YouTube Playback" extension that Jennifer mentioned. This is a totally different extension from the Adobe one. If you're able to use that, then I can help you to troubleshoot any issues that you may encounter.

Level 2

Thank you @Jennifer_Dungan  and @yuhuisg for your help with this.

Sorry, I am just getting back to provide feedback, I had to manage some other tasks.

Your points have really been helpful, as well as your contacts.

This is what has happened so far:

1. The website development team that integrated the Iframe on the website, made some changes last Friday, and with this change, all the video data elements fired correctly.

2. Yesterday, I sat down with the website developer to investigate what was changed that made the data elements fire correctly, and we discovered the setup as shared on the Adobe YouTube Extension development document, can only fire the data elements and events, if the  www.youtube.com domain is used together with the iframe, instead of the www.youtube-nocookie.com domain.

I am now trying to write a javascript on Adobe Launch to allow www.youtube.com to only fire cookies when consent is given by the website visitor. I hope this works, please feel free to share if there are other ways to get this done.

Thank you.

Community Advisor

If you're open to use non-Adobe extensions, you can try my "YouTube Playback" extension. It supports youtube-nocookie.com embed URLs.

Level 1

Hi! I'm finding your extension super useful, although I can't seem to be able to nuse the data elements. I can't see them in my data element library and whwnever I write them directly in a rule I get an undefined. How can I get access to them?