Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Which Dimensions pare with Average Time on Site?

Level 2

The documentation says it shows the the amount of time that passed between hits for a given dimension item and If the hit doesn’t have a subsequent hit, do not include it in this metric.

I'm not quite sure I understand this!

Does it make sense to have "Average Time on Site " metric for Month or Day or OS?

Or it only makes sense to have it with Page?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Yes, you can use "Average Time on Site" based on a time span.

The description is a little confusing... so I'm going to try to illustrate how Adobe records "time spent"

• User Enters Site on the home page, time stamp is 1:00:00
  • User goes to Page A, time stamp is 1:02:35   (Adobe then calculates the time on Home page as 1:02:35 - 1:00:00, basically 2 mins 35 seconds)
  • User goes to Page B, time stamp is 1:03:23 (Adobe then calculates the time on Page A as 1:03:23 - 1:02:35, basically 48 seconds)
  • User closes the browser (there is no time stamp recorded... Page B is left without a time calculation

When you look at the pages by the Time Spent Metric, you will get the individual page times... if you don't break it down, and look at the whole site, it should show the time spent on the site as 3 mins, 23 seconds.....

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Yes, you can use "Average Time on Site" based on a time span.

The description is a little confusing... so I'm going to try to illustrate how Adobe records "time spent"

• User Enters Site on the home page, time stamp is 1:00:00
  • User goes to Page A, time stamp is 1:02:35   (Adobe then calculates the time on Home page as 1:02:35 - 1:00:00, basically 2 mins 35 seconds)
  • User goes to Page B, time stamp is 1:03:23 (Adobe then calculates the time on Page A as 1:03:23 - 1:02:35, basically 48 seconds)
  • User closes the browser (there is no time stamp recorded... Page B is left without a time calculation

When you look at the pages by the Time Spent Metric, you will get the individual page times... if you don't break it down, and look at the whole site, it should show the time spent on the site as 3 mins, 23 seconds.....

Level 2

So back to my original query... Any idea which dimensions pair with Average Time on Site ??

Also who defines if a question is answered correctly here?

Community Advisor

Most dimensions pair with Average Time on Site.. you will find the list of dimensions that don't work much shorter than the ones that do.... Offhand, I cannot think of any dimension that would specifically have issues... but it also depends on your specific usage. Such as, maybe you have an eVar which is only on click actions... that likely wouldn't work well... but that has to do with the usage, not eVars as a whole. Now, I would also be hesitant to use "minutes" with something like Average Time... but I wouldn't have an issue with Day (both of which are derived from the same raw data), but that is because time spent against a minute granularity just doesn't make sense....

There is no "list" of compatible dimensions if that is what you are looking for....

When you are building out reports, you should be trying to apply some thought to what you are reporting on, and if something looks very off, then that could use some investigation... and while this may lead to data that looks correct and may not, each case can be unique....

As for "who defines if a question is answered correctly here"... You as the posted can mark an answer as correct, but sometimes if a ticket appears to be abandoned by the original poster, the Experience League managers will sometimes go through and mark answers that look reasonable as correct, as often original posters forget to mark a correct answer. It's not me in case you were wondering  
Had you followed up back in January with your additional question, I would have been happy to keep helping you.