Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

When two segments are added in a report, is it resulting data displayed as 'AND' or 'OR'

Level 1

When I add two or more segments by holding down the ctrl key on my keyboard on a data warehouse report, is the resulting data considering the segments as 'OR' or 'AND'. Segments are separated by commas in the report preview.  Please help!!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Well everywhere it's treated as "AND" so I would expect that to be the case in Data Warehouse. Just try it out on a small sample: if your result set decreases when adding additional segments, it's AND, otherwise OR. I would be shocked if it's OR though.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 2

Well everywhere it's treated as "AND" so I would expect that to be the case in Data Warehouse. Just try it out on a small sample: if your result set decreases when adding additional segments, it's AND, otherwise OR. I would be shocked if it's OR though.

Employee Advisor

Hi Rashmi,

It is as Lee said, when more than one Segment is selected, the operator acting in between is AND.

-Hyder

Level 1

Hi Lee and Hyder -

Per Lee's suggestion, I just ran a sample report and it seems like the answer to my question is - OR;

I have 2 segments, segment 1 - excludes internal IP addresses; segment 2 - excludes internal user emails;.  The report that I want is a list of users that don't have internal IP address OR do not have internal emails. That is the result that I got. Can you please verify that same happens when you run a report in data warehouse? Thanks! Remember: I am building the report using tools ---> Data warehouse and adding both those segments from the available segments.

Level 1

Hi Hyder -

Thanks for the documentation link; can you please verify/confirm that it is behaving in the same way that is documented because I'm getting the opposite results =)

Thanks again!

Per Lee's suggestion, I just ran a sample report and it seems like the answer to my question is - OR;

I have 2 segments, segment 1 - excludes internal IP addressessegment 2 - excludes internal user emails;.  The report that I want is a list of users that don't have internal IP address OR do not have internal emails. That is the result that I got. Can you please verify that same happens when you run a report in data warehouse? Thanks! Remember: I am building the report using tools ---> Data warehouse and adding both those segments from the available segments.

https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/analytics/segment/seg_compatibility.html

Employee Advisor

HI Rashmi,

Can you share what your segments look like. 

A point to remember is that container exclusion and Does not equal/contain is not the same.

-Hyder