Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

What's the difference between "s_vi" and "s_vi_####(randomized_value?)" cookies?

Level 2

I noticed there're 2 types of "s_vi" cookies.

[1] regular one

Name: s_vi

Value: [CS]v1|HEX-HEX[CE]

Domain: COMPANIES_NAME.122(or121).2o7.net

[2] another one

Name: s_vi_RANDOMIZED VALUE

Value: [CS]v4|HEX-HEX|RANDOMIZED VALUE[CE]

Domain: 2o7.net

What's the difference between [1] and [2]?

And, what kind of situation [2] is created on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

#2 happens when the s.namespace variable isn't set, so you get a different s_vi cookie for each report suite. When s.namespace isn't set it means that users are identified uniquely for each report suite instead of uniquely for the tracking server.

You can set s.namespace and the cookie will be migrated automatically.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Employee Advisor

HI Hachiya,

Does the implementation you're looking at happen to have any plugins installed? Based on my experience, that looks like it is a cookied used by the getValOnce plugin for eVar4.

Correct answer by
Employee

#2 happens when the s.namespace variable isn't set, so you get a different s_vi cookie for each report suite. When s.namespace isn't set it means that users are identified uniquely for each report suite instead of uniquely for the tracking server.

You can set s.namespace and the cookie will be migrated automatically.

Level 1
Hi, Could you please share the Adobe's documentation on how the namespace can be set because we can only see multiple s_vi_randomizedValue Cookies for our web collection.

Level 1
Hi, Could you please share the Adobe's documentation on how the namespace can be set because we can only see multiple s_vi_ Cookies for our web collection. Thanks.

Level 10

Hi There,

Thanks for reaching out to Adobe Community.

The s_vi cookie is used to store the Unique Visitor ID. You can go through the articles Analytics Cookies and Using the Visitor ID Service with Analytics to know more about them.

Thanks! 

Level 2

Hi all,

Thanks to your answers!

I tested and confirmed the issue about "s.namespace" which Jacob mentioned.

Thanks!