Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

What is the best way to compare user behavior between different time zones?

Level 4

We have stores across different time zones. I'm looking to compare user behavior between customers located in the Eastern time zone versus customers located in the Pacific time zone. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

To compare user behavior between customers located in the Eastern and Pacific time zones, you can follow these steps in Adobe Analytics:

1. Create segments based on time zones: First, you'll need to create two separate segments for the Eastern and Pacific time zones. You can do this by using the "Geography" dimension (specifically, the "Time Zone" dimension) in the Segment Builder.

• For the Eastern Time Zone segment, set the condition: "Time Zone equals America/New_York".
    • For the Pacific Time Zone segment, set the condition: "Time Zone equals America/Los_Angeles".
  2. Apply segments to reports: Once you've created the segments for each time zone, you can apply them to various reports in Adobe Analytics Workspace to compare user behavior.

• Drag and drop the Eastern Time Zone segment onto your report (e.g., Visits, Page Views, Bounce Rate, etc.) to see data specific to users located in the Eastern Time Zone.
    • Do the same with the Pacific Time Zone segment to see data specific to users located in the Pacific Time Zone.
  3. Compare user behavior: Now that you have data for each time zone in your reports, you can compare user behavior across different metrics such as Visits, Page Views, Bounce Rate, Conversion Rate, etc. You can also use visualizations like bar charts or line charts to visualize the differences in user behavior between the two time zones.

4. Dive deeper into the data: To gain more insights, you can break down the data further by adding dimensions such as device type, marketing channels, or pages visited. This will help you understand the differences in user behavior and preferences between the two time zones and uncover any opportunities for improvement or optimization.

By following these steps, you can analyze and compare user behavior between customers located in the Eastern and Pacific time zones using Adobe Analytics.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

I never specifically compared the user behavior between time zones. The easiest way is to apply the eastern and pacific timezone dimension to the metrics as filter by. But if you want to compare on the whole level just apply that specific timezone to the panel itself.

Community Advisor

I also have never done this.. but I think the first thing I might try is to capture a local time as a prop or eVar (in a format that I can use regex on).

Note: Capturing user's local time is subject to potential issues if that user's time isn't set correctly.

Then what I could do is use classification rules and regex processing to identify relative "times"

So that I can pull the "Local Hour of the Day" then pull in data, based on the local time... so maybe you want to use specific hours.... "4pm-5pm Local Time" or maybe you want to make the classifications more encompassing "8am - 12 noon Local Time"

Now, this won't work so well with line graphs (which are based on the suite's local time).. but you should be able to maybe make use of something like bar graphs to represent traffic by local time.

I also believe that in Virtual Suites, that you can set a different time zone.. this may not work so much for comparing between your user groups, but you could use this specifically for reporting on your Eastern Time Zone stores vs your Pacific Time Zone stores?

This is also something I haven't really played with, but:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1681248786648.png

You could maybe have multiple panels in your Workspace set up to different virtual suites based on different time zones?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

To compare user behavior between customers located in the Eastern and Pacific time zones, you can follow these steps in Adobe Analytics:

1. Create segments based on time zones: First, you'll need to create two separate segments for the Eastern and Pacific time zones. You can do this by using the "Geography" dimension (specifically, the "Time Zone" dimension) in the Segment Builder.

• For the Eastern Time Zone segment, set the condition: "Time Zone equals America/New_York".
    • For the Pacific Time Zone segment, set the condition: "Time Zone equals America/Los_Angeles".
  2. Apply segments to reports: Once you've created the segments for each time zone, you can apply them to various reports in Adobe Analytics Workspace to compare user behavior.

• Drag and drop the Eastern Time Zone segment onto your report (e.g., Visits, Page Views, Bounce Rate, etc.) to see data specific to users located in the Eastern Time Zone.
    • Do the same with the Pacific Time Zone segment to see data specific to users located in the Pacific Time Zone.
  3. Compare user behavior: Now that you have data for each time zone in your reports, you can compare user behavior across different metrics such as Visits, Page Views, Bounce Rate, Conversion Rate, etc. You can also use visualizations like bar charts or line charts to visualize the differences in user behavior between the two time zones.

4. Dive deeper into the data: To gain more insights, you can break down the data further by adding dimensions such as device type, marketing channels, or pages visited. This will help you understand the differences in user behavior and preferences between the two time zones and uncover any opportunities for improvement or optimization.

By following these steps, you can analyze and compare user behavior between customers located in the Eastern and Pacific time zones using Adobe Analytics.

Level 4

Hi Hemang35,

It doesn't look like "Geography" nor "Time Zone" are included as dimensions. Are these custom dimensions you installed? 

Thank you 

Community Advisor

In the workspace components, search for timezone, we have timezone dimension in components. Using that dimension create a custom dimension as @Hemang35 mentioned.