Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

What is the best way to check if our customers view our products on start of the promotion day and come back to purchase on the subsequent days

Level 3

I would like to investigate a case. We think that our customers probably come to our website on Mondays to check out our promotion as we usually have new promotion on Mondays. Then, they come back to purchase on Tuesdays after comparing prices at our competitors. 

What is the best way to investigate this?

I compared key metrics for Mondays and Tuesdays but don't find much trend through it. 

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

I guess there is a typo of the next here (To the best of my knowledge).
"Within 1 day is going to give you within that next day period, so if you are looking to encompass Monday and Tuesday, you could use 2 days. "

Answer:So within 1 Day is going to give you the same day i.e. Monday whereas Within 2 days is going to give you the Monday and Tuesday.

Btw, what accounts for the next day? Is it 24 hours immediately after the time you visit? or a full 24 hours after the end of the day of your visit?
What I meant was, let's say I visit website A at 2pm Oct 23rd, does within 1 day counts for all the activity until 2pm Oct 24th or the whole of Oct 24th(starting from 12am to 11:59pm)?
Answer: Within 1 Day is referenced from the report suite time zone. so If a visit happens around 11 Pm (Report Suite Time zone and not visitor time zone) on 23rd October then within one day will consists of visits within 23rd October. And within 2 day will consists of the next day.

Link for the AD Hoc Analysis:
https://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/dsc/index.html#Ad_Hoc_Analysis_Help
PDF Guide: http://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/discover/ad_hoc_analysis.pdf

Let me know if that helps.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 2

Greetings, CunnYong:

Do you have access to Ad Hoc Analysis (formerly known as Discover)? 

If so, your best bet is going to be to use the sequential segmentation feature within Ad Hoc Analysis. With this, you can use a time element in building your segments, where you would have the criteria of a visitor viewing your site on Monday, and THEN, after one visit but within one day, or one week, or whatever period of time you're interested in considering, comes back and views some other page, or takes some action. 

Level 3

Yes, I do.

Using that segment (which have the criteria of a visitor viewing your site on Monday, and THEN, after one visit but within one day, or one week, or whatever period of time you're interested in considering, comes back and views some other page, or takes some action), I should go to key metrics report and check for the number of unique visitors on Tuesday? 

Btw, I think there is some error with Discover. After generating/creating the first report, I would not be able to open up another report in the same tab or in a new tab. I think there is a bug. 

Level 4

Hi CunnYong,

That's the beauty of the segmentation. Once you have rightly segmented your audience, you can check any report and investigate anything and everything about your target audience. 
Each report when loaded with the segmentation will tell you information about your target audience(within the segmentation) only.

Thanks and Regards
Akhil

Level 3

Thanks Akhil and Tyler.

Btw, 3 questions here.

First, I think there is some error with Discover. After generating/creating the first report, I would not be able to open up another report in the same tab or in a new tab. I think there is a bug. 

Second, I noticed a lot of dimensions have instance appended to the end of the name. For example, Day of the week(eVar 6) and Day of the week instance. Are they the same? Which one should I use for my case? 

Btw, is my following container correct? By "After 1 Visit(s)", does that mean after the first visit on Monday or after the first visit on Tuesday?
and By "Within 1 Day(s)", does that mean within Tuesday or within Monday? It is kind of confusing here. 
My container is as following:
Day of the week(eVarN) equals Monday
THEN After 1 Visit(s) Within 1 Day(s)
Bookings is greater than 0

Thanks! 

Level 2

Hi CunnYong,

Would you mind posting a screen shot of the error you are receiving so other users can see if they are experiencing something similar? You also should open a ticket with Client Care with details of that error so they can investigate whether there is something specific causing that error. 

For your second question, my impression would be that you would want to use Day of the week (eVar 6) as that is going to have the value of day of the week (Monday, Tuesday, etc...) I would assume day of the week instance is an sProp so is just a value that increments by one, but I am not familiar with your implementation. 

Finally, you may consider setting up your segment as "After 1 Occurence" and then "Within 2 days". Within 1 day is going to give you within that next day period, so if you are looking to encompass Monday and Tuesday, you could use 2 days. 

One of the nice things about Ad Hoc Analysis' segment definition builder, however, is that as you're building these segments you can click the "refresh" button at the bottom of the segment builder to do a quick count of how many visits/visitors/page views will fall into the segment, so if you're building a segment without a lot of data, you can know straight away.

Level 3

Thanks for your reply.

1)
Yes. I did submit a ticket at the same time. 
Anyway, I just tried the suggestion mentioned by this guy on this thread and it worked. Does that mean I have to re-download it every now and then?
http://help-forums.adobe.com/content/adobeforums/en/analytics-forum/adobe-analytics.topic.html/forum...

2)

Finally, you may consider setting up your segment as "After 1 Occurence" and then "Within 2 days". Within 1 day is going to give you within that next day period, so if you are looking to encompass Monday and Tuesday, you could use 2 days. 

Regarding the above suggestion, I don't quite understand the logic. If within 2 days give me Monday and Tuesday, why within 1 day give me Tuesday(that next day)?

Btw, what accounts for the next day? Is it 24 hours immediately after the time you visit? or a full 24 hours after the end of the day of your visit?
What I meant was, let's say I visit website A at 2pm Oct 23rd, does within 1 day counts for all the activity until 2pm Oct 24th or the whole of Oct 24th(starting from 12am to 11:59pm)?

3)

Is there good guide/tutorial on how to use Ad-Hoc Analysis? 

Thanks!

Correct answer by
Level 4

I guess there is a typo of the next here (To the best of my knowledge).
"Within 1 day is going to give you within that next day period, so if you are looking to encompass Monday and Tuesday, you could use 2 days. "

Answer:So within 1 Day is going to give you the same day i.e. Monday whereas Within 2 days is going to give you the Monday and Tuesday.

Answer: Within 1 Day is referenced from the report suite time zone. so If a visit happens around 11 Pm (Report Suite Time zone and not visitor time zone) on 23rd October then within one day will consists of visits within 23rd October. And within 2 day will consists of the next day.

Link for the AD Hoc Analysis:
https://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/dsc/index.html#Ad_Hoc_Analysis_Help
PDF Guide: http://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/discover/ad_hoc_analysis.pdf

Level 3

I see. Thanks

1) I wonder what the difference for the following 2 segments. Could you please explain to me? note that my "day of the week" Evar expires after visit.
[img]version1.png[/img]

[img]version2.png[/img]

Anyway, the above 2 segments won't generate any bookings as my evar expires after visit, I guess.
However, if I use the visitor container, the segment will be a lot larger which makes the filter not so accurate. 

2) Alright, I dont think such a segment(visits on Monday THEN at least a booking on Tuesday) works to investigate this case. I also considered this following segment. However, this segment will include all the activities(bookings) of the users whose past activity matches the rule of the segment once.
[img]container 2.png[/img]

Any suggestion on how to do this? What about using the above segment but set the date range of reports to be just a week and do it the hard way by generating a report for every week?