Expand my Community achievements bar.

Visit count higher than pageviews

Employee

Hi All,
For one of my client we are getting visits no higher than the pageviews for "july" and "sep" month.
The site has Tealium server side implementation so we couldn't validate it.
We have access to adobe analytics, If i want to perform some analysis to find out the root cause.
What could be the potential reason for this issue, How to approach to find out the reason, Which kind of analysis  i can perform to find the solution.

VidhyaAk1_0-1711003696894.png

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Is it possible you might be accidentally sending page views as "clicks"? Any server call will trigger a visit, but clicks won't increment the page views. If you have users who are hitting pages that are only tracking as clicks, those PVs could be lost, but the Visits would still count.

Employee

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan 
To know that if we are sending clicks on page load 
I have created a data feed in adobe analytics taking below columns

hit_source
excude hits

i got some count in "hit_data" file  .. but i don't know how to read and analyze it 
Could you please help me here 

Community Advisor

Hi @VidhyaAk1,

I believe you will need some additional / different columns.

This documentation should help you:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/export/analytics-data-feed/data-feed-contents/d...

But, "hit_source" is more about where/how the hit was set (i.e. standard image request with/without timestamp, upload, etc)... not about whether the hit was a page view or something else.

Now, if you look at the documentation, you will see page_event, which is listed as a "the type of hit", and there is a lookup for the type, but there's a little gotcha... you can't rely on this completely...  Page Views are triggered on any hit that has a pagename or page_url set (no matter what the page_event says)

I had some more ideas on the issue. There are a few other scenarios I can think of:

• If the client is tracking video, is it possible that the use may have walked away from their computer (allowing the session to expire), then came back and played the video that was already loaded on their screen? And didn't hit any page views, just video?
  • Do your clients track their mobile apps in their suite with everything else? We had an issue with an old push notification / in-app messaging vendor that when an in-app message would be scheduled to send early in the morning, it would actually cause the app to "wake up" and trigger a lifecycle metric / visit, but not actually trigger any pages...
  • similarly, I've seen some of these push notification vendors have a daily "health check" to see how many users are still actively subscribed to push notifications, and that health check again caused a lifecycle metric to fire with no pages....

There may be other such behaviours happening, something that triggers a visit without a page view.

Level 2

@VidhyaAk1 , I have had this issue in past. Not sure if it is the same case for you. Are there any assets (especially youtube videos / interactive iframe where tracking is not enabled) with more than 30min duration?

In my case, there was an investor relation youtube video with more than one hour duration. If a user watches video for more than 30mins and makes a click, visit count increases, where as page view does not increase.