Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

user’s country code through Adobe Analytics

Level 4

Is there any other way you can retrieve the user’s country code through Adobe Analytics other than a cookie?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

Adobe Analytics already has a standard "country" dimension which is set based on their IP address.

But you are trying to get a two character country code in addition to this, correct?

Cookies generally aren't part of country identification, unless your site is specifically setting a country code value into a cookie?

We might need more information about your setup and what you are trying to get as a final result.

Questions for you to help give us context to support you:
- are your developers setting a cookie with country value?
- if yes, is this being set by the user's profile settings, or using something like CDN to identify the users location by IP and passing that value to a cookie?

- Is this cookie being set on every page view, or session, etc to keep it up to date?

- Do you have concerns about the validity of this data in this developer set cookie?

There is no "classification" available on the standard country dimension, so you can't really process that into a country code, and country doesn't seem to be available in processing rules to copy to a prop or eVar to apply classifications there.... unfortunately.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

Adobe Analytics already has a standard "country" dimension which is set based on their IP address.

But you are trying to get a two character country code in addition to this, correct?

Cookies generally aren't part of country identification, unless your site is specifically setting a country code value into a cookie?

We might need more information about your setup and what you are trying to get as a final result.

Questions for you to help give us context to support you:
- are your developers setting a cookie with country value?
- if yes, is this being set by the user's profile settings, or using something like CDN to identify the users location by IP and passing that value to a cookie?

- Is this cookie being set on every page view, or session, etc to keep it up to date?

- Do you have concerns about the validity of this data in this developer set cookie?

There is no "classification" available on the standard country dimension, so you can't really process that into a country code, and country doesn't seem to be available in processing rules to copy to a prop or eVar to apply classifications there.... unfortunately.

Level 4

Thanks for the detailed info. I am looking for a two-character country code. Currently the devs are looking to set it up using country CDN to identify the location. Classification is certainly a constraint. I will need to take a look. Now, in terms of current setup it is still in the requirements gathering phase. So, once it is implemented, I can provide more details. But, for now I will close this issue. Appreciate it.

Community Advisor

You're welcome

Since this is new, you can also have your developers set the value in a data layer variable on the page (rather than setting it in a cookie). You can pick up values from standard JS variables on the page, or JS Objects if you are building out a full data layer implementation... Or even into a session storage variable...  This would avoid issues with potentially blocked cookies.