Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Unspecified value for evar

Level 1

I am setting an evar on a page(say pageA) everytime on page load tag for that page. However, when i breakdown the pageName variable by that evar, i still see a large chunk of value for that evar as "Unspecified" for Occurrences metrics.

Also, say if i visited other pages and come back to that same page(pageA) where I am resetting that evar with the same value. Will this value be considered as a new value or because the value didn't change will it be considered as persistant value?

Please advise.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi,

As per the design of conversion variable (evar) report there can be 2 cases when Unspecified appears:

1. A conversion event fires without a conversion variable
  2. Hits where conversion variable was not present

I am assuming you are using out-of-the-box dimension 'Page' for pages report. If you apply 'eVar Instances' metric to your report, you will not get 'Unspecified' in the breakdown report. 

Instances metric is useful when you want to see the number of times a dimension value was set without the hits where that value persisted.

Comparison of Occurrences and Instances can be found in the document: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/analytics/kb/comparing-instance-occurences.html

Now every time an eVar is fired in the server call, an Instance of the variable is increased. This is not considered as a persistent value.

Hope this is helpful!

Thanks,

Saumya

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi,

As per the design of conversion variable (evar) report there can be 2 cases when Unspecified appears:

1. A conversion event fires without a conversion variable
  2. Hits where conversion variable was not present

I am assuming you are using out-of-the-box dimension 'Page' for pages report. If you apply 'eVar Instances' metric to your report, you will not get 'Unspecified' in the breakdown report. 

Instances metric is useful when you want to see the number of times a dimension value was set without the hits where that value persisted.

Comparison of Occurrences and Instances can be found in the document: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/analytics/kb/comparing-instance-occurences.html

Now every time an eVar is fired in the server call, an Instance of the variable is increased. This is not considered as a persistent value.

Hope this is helpful!

Thanks,

Saumya