Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Unspecified / Unavailable search keywords

Level 3

Hi there,

Please can you define each of the below for me:

* Unavailable keywords - those logged into Google at time of search?  So this impacts natural/paid?

* Unspecified keywords - this makes up the biggest majority so just checking this again? 

Thanks

Karen

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

For

* Unavailable keywords : please refer to http://helpx.adobe.com/analytics/kb/keyword-unavailable.html 

* Unspecified keywords:  please refer to http://helpx.adobe.com/analytics/kb/none-unspecified-and-unknown.html

Let me know if that helps and mark it as answered if it solves your query.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 4

For

* Unavailable keywords : please refer to http://helpx.adobe.com/analytics/kb/keyword-unavailable.html 

* Unspecified keywords:  please refer to http://helpx.adobe.com/analytics/kb/none-unspecified-and-unknown.html

Let me know if that helps and mark it as answered if it solves your query.

Level 3

Great thanks.  I understand "unavailable", but still need further clarification on "unspecified"?  See below from your link.  This isn't a correlation report I had run, its just top search keywords, so I don't actually know which one this applies to please?  This has occured when I run a Page segment against Top Search keywords driving traffic (as I wanted to filter out only those driving to a certain section).  Please confirm if this is the reason why I'm getting "unspecified" numbers?

"Unspecified" in reporting

Similar to "None," this result occurs when the breakdown is unobtainable or otherwise unavailable:
  • Correlation reports where only one variable fired: Correlation reports must account for every instance of that particular variable value. For example, if you tried breaking down prop1 by prop2 and these two variables don't fire in the same image request, you see a correlation report with a breakdown of "Unspecified." To remove unspecified from correlation reports, it's necessary to define all correlated traffic variables with a value on the same image request. In many situations, this expectation is unrealistic. Therefore, this line item can be ignored as long as the user is aware that it means that the first variable was defined without the second.
  • Non-browser hits when viewing Technology reports: Adobe Analytics is heavily dependent on Javascript functions to retrieve Visitor Profile information. Unknown browser sources where JavaScript is not available contributes to this line item (for example, an executable program or a user-created browser). These Technology reports show unspecified to indicate that this information was unable to be gathered. "Unspecified" can also occur if your implementation code is placed into the <head> tags of your web page. Adobe highly recommends that you don't use the <head> tags, as it affects many aspects of reporting. Placing your implementation within the <body> tags resolves this issue.
  • Hierarchy reports with different amounts of levels: Similar to correlations, hierarchies must account for all page views across all levels. For example, you have one page with a hierarchy two levels deep and another three levels deep. Viewing the level-three hierarchy report in marketing reports & analytics shows "unspecified" to account for the page with only two levels. It is not advisable to attempt to remove "Unspecified" from hierarchy reports. Doing so requires that every page on your site the same number of levels. Since this practice essentially defeats the purpose of implementing hierarchies in the first place, Adobe recommends that you ignore these breakdowns in reporting.

Level 4

It could be because of the 

• Non-browser hits when viewing Technology reports: Adobe Analytics is heavily dependent on Javascript functions to retrieve Visitor Profile information. Unknown browser sources where JavaScript is not available contributes to this line item (for example, an executable program or a user-created browser). These Technology reports show unspecified to indicate that this information was unable to be gathered. "Unspecified" can also occur if your implementation code is placed into the <head> tags of your web page. Adobe highly recommends that you don't use the <head> tags, as it affects many aspects of reporting. Placing your implementation within the <body> tags resolves this issue.

Please elaborate which report you are running and what steps to take to check at my end.

Level 1

Hi Akhil, 

I do have a similar question. I have assigned eVar26 to capture the payment method. From Nov 2021, I observed a large spike in the unspecified values. But I do see the other methods getting captured but this unspecified has large number.Can you please point me all the checks that I need to do to troubleshoot this issue? Thanks in advance.

Level 3

Thanks for your reply.

We only have the link to the scode in the head tag...would that impact this?

The report I'm looking at is "Top Search keywords referring traffic" to a certain section of my site.  The "unspecified" number actually makes sure 68% so a LARGE portion...so not sure if it can all be just due to the head vs. body tag?

Level 3

Thanks.

So am a little confused now, are we saying that "unspecified" search keywords is due largely to Google's privacy policy for natural search.  And "unavailable" search keywords is due largely to Google again as per below:

When Google announced their policy update to strip search keywords, it was originally intended solely for natural search keywords. Paid search was not affected. However, Adobe has observed a small subset of instances where Google paid search click-throughs have begun to stop reporting keywords. Because the keyword query string does not contain a value, it displays as "Keyword Unavailable" in paid search keyword reports.