Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Unique visitor variable setting in Admin

Level 2

What does the setting under the Admin --> Report Suites --> Conversion --> Unique Visitor Variable do? 

I have read documentation on the same and it says is "The Unique Visitor Variable is used to designate which eVar will contain your visitor identifier. The Unique Visitor variable allows you to report on customer activity using your own unique identifier instead of Adobe's."

I am not sure what it means? does it mean setting this to a custom eVar will replace the ECID of that visitor with the custom variable?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

The purpose of that report suite setting is to set a mapping for Data Warehouse dimension "Visitor Id".

If you capture any user/crm/recipient/derived ID in an eVar, the activation of that setting WILL NOT change the data processing, do not confuse this setting with s.visitorID implementation.

Read the last paragraph in the following article that explains the purpose of the "Unique Visitor Variable" setting:

https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/analytics/admin/admin-tools/unique-visitor-variable/extract-v...

Please let me know if that helps?

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 4

User ID, similar to Google Analytics, is its own ID system.

Level 2
Thank you for the response, but my question is what does that feature do? i mean clicking the check box vs not clicking box what is the difference i should see?

Level 4
Unique visitor variable lets you report on customer activity using your own unique identifier. The method of calculating the number of users is different. If you do n’t check the box, use the original method of Adobe, such as cookies. If you check the box, use custom eVar and use your own ID tag. For example, this Id may be your background ID or the hash of your mailbox. value.

Correct answer by
Level 10

The purpose of that report suite setting is to set a mapping for Data Warehouse dimension "Visitor Id".

If you capture any user/crm/recipient/derived ID in an eVar, the activation of that setting WILL NOT change the data processing, do not confuse this setting with s.visitorID implementation.

Read the last paragraph in the following article that explains the purpose of the "Unique Visitor Variable" setting:

https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/analytics/admin/admin-tools/unique-visitor-variable/extract-v...

Please let me know if that helps?

Hi Andrey, I tried pulling data from data warehouse before and after setting a variable as unique visitor variable, I didn't notice any difference in the values i got under the Visitor ID dimension

Level 10
Do any of the answers below answer your initial question? If so, can you select one of them as the correct answer? If none of the answers already provided answer your question, can you provide additional information to better help the community solve your question?