Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Unexplainable increase in Visits.

Level 1

Hi,

I raised an issue with Adobe and apparently there is no know issue.

Since the 7th July we have been experiencing an increase in Typed/bookmarked visits. Digging further, I notice that this increase is largely down to an increase in Visits via Typed/bookmarked visits who's Entry page is my Homepage. The bounces from this type of visit from the Home page is substantial.

It looks and smells like a robot or a technical reporting issue, can anyone help as im running out of ideas.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 1

Hi Bharat -

I recommend running a data warehouse report with a segment where entry page is your home page and breakdowns of domains and IP and metric of Visits and breakdown by date (you can get more granular and breakdown by hour, but only if you do a subset of July that does not exceed 2 weeks).

Then export the report to excel and pivot on IP and visits (drop IP into the rows and sum visits in the values). You can break this down further by dropping hour or date under the IP row or create a pivot chart if you desire. Sort this by visit total and if it is a bot, you should see that one IP address has many more visits then the rest.

Once you have identified the bot, go into Admin Console > Edit Settings > General > Bot Rules and you can filter by either user agent, IP Address or IP Range. This will filter all future traffic that comes from this bot. You can monitor the BOt Traffic from this IP in The Bots report located at Site Metrics > Bots.

As far as removing this bot traffic from your July data, simply build a new segment that excludes any visits from that IP address and add this segment to your report for July.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi Bharat, welcome to the community.

There is a KB article that gives some really help steps to trouble spikes or drops in data. I'd recommend giving this a read:

http://helpx.adobe.com/analytics/kb/spikes-and-drops.html

Correct answer by
Level 1

Hi Bharat -

I recommend running a data warehouse report with a segment where entry page is your home page and breakdowns of domains and IP and metric of Visits and breakdown by date (you can get more granular and breakdown by hour, but only if you do a subset of July that does not exceed 2 weeks).

Then export the report to excel and pivot on IP and visits (drop IP into the rows and sum visits in the values). You can break this down further by dropping hour or date under the IP row or create a pivot chart if you desire. Sort this by visit total and if it is a bot, you should see that one IP address has many more visits then the rest.

Once you have identified the bot, go into Admin Console > Edit Settings > General > Bot Rules and you can filter by either user agent, IP Address or IP Range. This will filter all future traffic that comes from this bot. You can monitor the BOt Traffic from this IP in The Bots report located at Site Metrics > Bots.

As far as removing this bot traffic from your July data, simply build a new segment that excludes any visits from that IP address and add this segment to your report for July.

Community Advisor

To confirm your theory. Run a Data Warehouse report with IP and Visits. You might see the IP that sends the most requests.