Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Unable to identify the id's corresponding to custom elements through API that were available in Adobe Datawarehouse

Level 1

The report suite id that we are using is  “eycomglobalproduction”. Though we were able to create a sample report in the adobe Datawarehouse (using this ID) with the required  “custom elements”, while we try to access the required custom elements through API we are facing issues right now.  We use the below API to find the id’s corresponding to the elements:

https://api.omniture.com/admin/1.4/rest/?method=Report.GetElements&reportType=warehouse&reportSuiteI...

But we are not able to find the name of these custom elements in that API response without which we cant proceed with the automation

Area (User) ,

Sub area (User) ,

Service Line (User),

Sub Service Line (User) ,

Country (User),

Rank (User),

Experience Cloud Visitor ID.

Request your assistance in resolving this issue ASAP.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi, as this is a help forum (and not client care), we don't have access to your suite or data, so you are going to have to help us help you.

In you suite what are the items you mentioned:

• Area (User)
  • Sub area (User)
  • Service Line (User)
  • Sub Service Line (User)
  • Rank (User)

I am going to assume that "Country (User)" would be your standard geo country, and of course your standard Experience Cloud Visitor ID.

However, I ran a similar "Get Elements" API call on my own suite, I found all my props and eVars, my GeoCountry, and the marketingcloudvisitorid.... so I don't know why you aren't finding what you are looking for, but understanding what the elements are will help you find them.....

But the "Get Elements" call is a simple call just to return a list of available dimensions in the suite, it doesn't actually return values like the Data Warehouse..... So if the expectation is that using this call is going to get you a full data export, that is the incorrect usage.

To do that, in API 1.4, you need to run multiple calls:

1. You need to run a Report.Queue (this is where you will build out what data and metrics, in what time frame, etc you want to be returned in the report. - this will return a report id

2. You then need to keep checking the Report.GetQueue to wait for the status of the above report id to show that it's completed

3. Then once completed, you need run the Report.Get for the above report id to get back the data.

The API 2.0 is much faster, there is no need to check a Queue for completion, but you also can't pull in as many correlations at once... complex reports may need to make several calls to get back all the data.

The Workspace area uses API 2.0, you can see all the API calls used to build a report by enabling the "debug" mode (help > enable debugger). This will add a new "bug" icon on your visualizations, that when clicked will show by timestamp all the API calls that were made to build the report. You can click on each one to open up a page that will show you the API calls in multiple formats that you can copy and use for your own API implementation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi, as this is a help forum (and not client care), we don't have access to your suite or data, so you are going to have to help us help you.

In you suite what are the items you mentioned:

• Area (User)
  • Sub area (User)
  • Service Line (User)
  • Sub Service Line (User)
  • Rank (User)

I am going to assume that "Country (User)" would be your standard geo country, and of course your standard Experience Cloud Visitor ID.

However, I ran a similar "Get Elements" API call on my own suite, I found all my props and eVars, my GeoCountry, and the marketingcloudvisitorid.... so I don't know why you aren't finding what you are looking for, but understanding what the elements are will help you find them.....

But the "Get Elements" call is a simple call just to return a list of available dimensions in the suite, it doesn't actually return values like the Data Warehouse..... So if the expectation is that using this call is going to get you a full data export, that is the incorrect usage.

To do that, in API 1.4, you need to run multiple calls:

1. You need to run a Report.Queue (this is where you will build out what data and metrics, in what time frame, etc you want to be returned in the report. - this will return a report id

2. You then need to keep checking the Report.GetQueue to wait for the status of the above report id to show that it's completed

3. Then once completed, you need run the Report.Get for the above report id to get back the data.

The API 2.0 is much faster, there is no need to check a Queue for completion, but you also can't pull in as many correlations at once... complex reports may need to make several calls to get back all the data.

The Workspace area uses API 2.0, you can see all the API calls used to build a report by enabling the "debug" mode (help > enable debugger). This will add a new "bug" icon on your visualizations, that when clicked will show by timestamp all the API calls that were made to build the report. You can click on each one to open up a page that will show you the API calls in multiple formats that you can copy and use for your own API implementation.

Level 1

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you so much for your response.

We are using get elements API to identify the id's corresponding to the elements. After getting that we too use the Report.Queue to retrieve the Report ID.

But the problem here is the elements that I have mentioned here are all custom elements that were created in Adobe so the standard geocountry may not be the one that is being referred in Country (User).

So Basically we wanted to know how can we retieve the element id's for all those custom elements that are created in Adobe which is mostly going to be different from standard elements

Regards,

Anu

Community Advisor

But what do you mean when you say "custom elements created in Adobe"? GetElements will only return dimensions (props, eVars, lists, standard dimensions, etc).

If these aren't dimensions, they will not be returned by this query.

Are these events? Are they segments? Are they classifications? Are they Calculated Metrics? We don't know what you are trying to retrieve or how your suites have been set up..... there are different API calls for all of these, so understanding what you are trying to retrieve is the first step to successfully retrieving it.