Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

TransactionIDs and Data Sources

Level 2

Hi, I'm a bit of a data sources novice and struggling a bit to understand how they work. I've set up the import (i.e. date, dimension A, dimension B, metric C and metric D, transactionID) and I can see the data has been uploaded to my set up, so I can now build a table in Workspace for the totals for any of these dimensions against the metrics. Which is great.

However, what I can't then work out is how to cross reference these with any other existing dimensions? So, for instance, say I try breaking down dimension A (a data source dimension) by Mobile Device Type (an existing dimension), it always defaults to 100% 'Other'. Similarly, with pages, browsers, etc. Does the imported data source information not get tied to the existing user information using the transaction ID as a join? Or is there something I've done wrong?

The other question I have is, in order to troubleshoot and check that the imported worked correctly, I wanted to create a simple report in workspace or warehouse with all of the transaction IDs. However, I can't see this as an option in the dimensions anywhere? Is there any way of doing this?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If you feel comfortable, you could do a small raw data export (a day or two worth) to see all the data and try to understand at a deeper level how the information is being stored and stitched?

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Full transparency here... I've not used the data importer, so take what I say with a grain of salt....

I know that the native Adobe data when you do breakdowns like Browser or Mobile Device Type, etc; it's based on that fact that the row of data in the raw source has those fields populated for correlation... I suspect that if you need to see that data, you would need to include raw user agent values to pass into the appropriate field so that Adobe can process it like the other hits... and in the absence of data, there is no choice but to return "other" (this happened for us once on a custom server side AMP tracking solution... our original solution failed to pass the user agent and other header information threw, so all the data got treated like Desktop Devices... we had to go back and fix the solution... so I suspect you are getting a similar result (lack of data in the row = no way to process and correlate).

That said, I don't know if the transaction ID can be used to stitch the data with a custom attribution...  as in, IF the data is properly being stitched to the correct user id in Adobe Analytics (so that both the native and imported data are being treated as a single UV) if you could use a custom attribution of participation to try and get some sort of information.....

Good Luck!

Level 2

My suspicion is that the stitching isn't working for some reason or other - it looks like we can break down other data sources imports how I'm wanting to do it. But it's a pain that you can't actually see what the transaction ID is in Adobe Workspace / Warehouse (I think), as it makes troubleshooting this kind of thing rather tricky...

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If you feel comfortable, you could do a small raw data export (a day or two worth) to see all the data and try to understand at a deeper level how the information is being stored and stitched?