Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Tracking switches from 1st party to 3rd party cookie - problem?

Level 5

Hi! While investigating some user flows I found that on some of our pages we use 3rd party cookie tracking. When I look at paths that should lead from pages with 1st party cookie tracking to pages with 3rd party cookie tracking, I find that the user session seems to be ended. I have only exits, whereas if I look the other way round, if I look at the pages with 3rd party cookies where their traffic is coming from, I find only entries, which isn't true. So the user session seems to be interrupted and tracking doesn't recognize the same users. Is that true? If this is the case, then I can't correlate the two sets of pages with each other, right? I can't build segments based on "visit" or "visitor" dimensions that capture both pages, or?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. 

We can infer that some of your website pages have a particular tracking server while the others have a different tracking server implemented on them. This is leading to incorrect tracking of your traffic. What you can do is to run the debugger on your webpages and check the domain of your cookies and ensure all are coming from the same domain. 

Thanks.

TM 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. 

We can infer that some of your website pages have a particular tracking server while the others have a different tracking server implemented on them. This is leading to incorrect tracking of your traffic. What you can do is to run the debugger on your webpages and check the domain of your cookies and ensure all are coming from the same domain. 

Thanks.

TM