Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Tracking Modal Windows

Level 1

Hi

I've got a site with some modal pop up windows that display after a user clicks a button.  I'd like to track a page-view for this when the page displays.  The page is a sign-up form for registering with the site as well as a follow-up email verification page.  Any help is appreciated here.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Assuming you're not talking about a whole new page/window, and in fact a dynamic modal window that would not lend itself to adding the standard analytics code, you can just use the s.t() directly to "fire" a page view when the modal opens.  We have done this many times.  Let me know if you have any questions!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 2

Hi Brad,

You can implement the analytics code on the sign up page that comes as a modal pop up. This sign up page may be an html page, so you can implement the analytics variables at the page level and call the core js file (s_code.js).

You can use the jquery colorbox plug in.

At the page where you have the button/link to that modal window (the sign up page), just place this code just before </head> tag:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="colorbox.css" />
        <script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.10.2/jquery.min.js"></script>
        <script src="jquery.colorbox.js"></script>
        <script>
            $(document).ready(function(){
                //Examples of how to assign the Colorbox event to elements
                $(".iframe").colorbox({iframe:true, width:"80%", height:"80%"});
            });
        </script>

Then add the href code with iframe to call your "Sign Up" page (The Modal Window) anywhere in the <body> tag, like this:

<a class='iframe' href="signup.htm">Sign Up</a>

You can see an example using Google Chrome web browser at the following test site:

http://analyticsawesomeness.bugs3.com/

Look at the page source for the code and "jquery.colorbox.js" file.

Hope that helps. smiley

Regards,
Ryan

Correct answer by
Level 2

Assuming you're not talking about a whole new page/window, and in fact a dynamic modal window that would not lend itself to adding the standard analytics code, you can just use the s.t() directly to "fire" a page view when the modal opens.  We have done this many times.  Let me know if you have any questions!